SM-62 Snark

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy guys and gals,

Well I have been at it again, this time I built Lindbergs 1:48th scale SM-62 "Snark" missile. This was The United States First Intercontinental Missile and this kit builds into a great looking model that is about 18 inches long when completed. It also comes with a mobile launch platform, about 9 Airforce Crewmen a "fifth wheel" and a tow tractor.

The history of this missile is fun reading, the stories of "Snark infested waters" off the coast of Florida during trials as well as the story of one of the Missiles failing to self destruct during a test and being found years later in the jungles of South America.

Anyway, here she sits on my driveway:

imageproxy.php

imageproxy.php

imageproxy.php

imageproxy.php

Now for those of you who happen to like the looks of this model and would like to have a similar model to add to your collection, here is the link to a good friend of mines free downloadable cardmodel of the SM-62 Snark:

The Navy

Once there you will see two photos of the completed cardmodel. Now for those of you who like other Missiles of this era, try this other page:

The webmaster of this page has permission of the designer to post this model in his website The model you will find here are of the Thor ICBM Both USAF and RAF as well as the iraqi SCUD and others.

One more quick link, DPileggi will take to you models of the above plus a 1/5th scale flying model rocket of the Sidewinder missile.

Have a good day and thanks for looking,

Greg

R

rjwood_uk

wow thats pretty cool Greg. i love it when you do this "off-topic" builds. usualy it means seeing something i had never even heard of as well so i learn a bit as well.

lovely model Greg, and as usual.looking good sitting on your driveway!

Richard

EDIT:

iv downloaded that 1/5th sidewinder. thats going to be Fun!!! im actually tempted to re-created it in plastic.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Richard,

Thanks for the comments on the Snark, I really enjoyed assembling it, I got to thinking a few minutes ago that this model was pretty close to the same size as my cardmodel of the Regulus II missile, i compared them and they are almost the exact same length :smiling3:

The regulus cardmodel was also designed by Eric Truax, the designer of the card Snark and many other models.

As for the sidewinder model, I dont see why you couldnt build it out of plastic, the plastic sheeting will go through a printer just like regular paper iof you want to go that route, or, cut out the parts in card, then trace them to plastic and cut them out of it. Heck If i can make a polaris missile out of a paper towel tube and other "junk parts" (as seen in my Titan II thread photos), then the sidewinder ought to be a breeze. Besides, making a plastic model out of a cardmodel has been done many times before as well as vice versa.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments on the snark.

Have a good day,

Greg

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy uncabret,

Thanks for the comment :grinball2:

have a good day,

greg

R

rjwood_uk

any of you card nuts out there fancy designing a 1/5 scale sidewinder rail/pylon? lol

just made the AIM-9B and thing it would be pretty cool to have it hanging on its rail!

Richard