Small scale figure Step by step (SBS). A 1/48 freebie Paul Hicks sculpt is the victim.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, told you I’d get him done by Xmas……

Last bit was the base. This had the debris picked out in various brick, wood, and cement colours, which were then highlighted with lighter shades….

F89A500D-47F1-4395-B418-F62B1D41F365.png
I used this picture as a reference. No point in trying to make it up if I don’t have to…

I enjoyed this chap. Not bad for a give away freebie from a show. Slightly cartoonish, but really encapsulates the essence of joy we get from playing with toys, even at our age……
67764306-020A-4F6E-988D-153A215C31F6.jpeg
3EEC3C2D-91AF-4F29-AD52-711BE16C6697.jpeg
53C7A2C6-B2B0-4E53-952C-A3CB1E58D674.jpeg
F7C0C240-72AB-4051-80C3-2B4F203D236B.jpeg
67AFAFF9-4ECF-4325-B9B8-164477F267BA.jpeg
As always, any questions please ask away…..

Only thing remaining is to name him I suppose…..

First I thought of William, as in “Just…” the schoolboy hero of Richmal Crompton. I loved the books when I was his age….but didn’t want to do a white cap…….don’t like painting white! Besides, by the time this is set Just William was of an age to be flying the things, not playing with them.

After that I thought of a certain guitarist…..but then, when I was a kid, so was he, and he looked great. But now we are both older he looks a little creepy to be honest….so Angus was out…..

How about Wee Jimmy Crankie…….no chance. Can’t stand her. Besides, she’s too busy trying to run Scotland.

After a bit more musing, well, there’s only one name. He lives on here and has gone more and more wingy over the last few months….

So……I give you Bob…..named after our Andy :thumb2:

Almost forgot….the calibration shot…..
5DCCA787-E453-4999-9895-6020F9DCF7EC.jpeg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I still think those are 1 litre bottles Tim!......exceptional results on this "Bob" looks great. So is it back to the "wee" yard gnomes or is there something a little different in the offing? ;)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Tim I reckon Bob has turned out really well. An excellent SBS as well. Very interesting to realise that the process is just a series of steps. The steps themselves are not that difficult but when followed through a great result is achieved. However I'm sure your skill and experience makes it look easier than it is.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I still think those are 1 litre bottles Tim!......exceptional results on this "Bob" looks great. So is it back to the "wee" yard gnomes or is there something a little different in the offing? ;)
Cheers Rick. Very kind of you.
After this I have some cavalry on the stocks, but they will be interrupted by my Katy build for the emergency group build.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well Tim I reckon Bob has turned out really well. An excellent SBS as well. Very interesting to realise that the process is just a series of steps. The steps themselves are not that difficult but when followed through a great result is achieved. However I'm sure your skill and experience makes it look easier than it is.
Thanks Jim. Glad you enjoyed the SBS. As I keep saying, it is just a series of simple stages that, added together, create the effect you are after. Starting from the inside of the figure enables you to layer these stages on top of each other, correcting errors as you go. Nothing earth shattering at all. Of course, experience and practice make it easier, but those are only learned by doing it ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thank you Tim. This thread willbe my 'go-to' whenever I think about trying to paint figures....

Nick
Cheers Nick. Just give it a go mate. It really isn’t that hard. Just takes a bit of thought and method.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Right Tim, you had better sit down......

Firstly, I love him and have again have found the SBS very useful. I think the calibration puts him in the best light, as it's at more of a 'normal' viewing distance and shows him off very well.

Please now make sure you're sitting down.......

SWMBO happened to be in the room with me at the time and I made a comment to the effect he'd turned out very nicely and I called her over......

....when I showed her the close up shots said "WOW!", repeat "WOW!"......

........before showing her the calibration shot I pickup up a random Vallejo bottle to give her an idea of the scale.....upon revealing the shot she said......."COOL". I will now let that sink in!

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Right Tim, you had better sit down......

Firstly, I love him and have again have found the SBS very useful. I think the calibration puts him in the best light, as it's at more of a 'normal' viewing distance and shows him off very well.

Please now make sure you're sitting down.......

SWMBO happened to be in the room with me at the time and I made a comment to the effect he'd turned out very nicely and I called her over......

....when I showed her the close up shots said "WOW!", repeat "WOW!"......

........before showing her the calibration shot I pickup up a random Vallejo bottle to give her an idea of the scale.....upon revealing the shot she said......."COOL". I will now let that sink in!

ATB.

Andrew
Wow, very humbled by all that Andrew. I agree about the calibration shot. That’s pretty much how he’s supposed to be seen.
As to SWMBOs comments, I’m very gratified, I’ll take that any day of the week…..please pass on my thanks.
To put that in context, ’Er indoors just said, “quite good, pity about the scary expression”. Mind you, she usually shows no interest at all :tongue-out3:

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's classy, Tim. The use of colour is great, and the shirt/tie/cardie/blazer could've been a right mess, but instead it's beautifully crisp.

As you (and Jim) said, it is just a set of simple steps. The skill comes in knowing which steps to take, in what order. And with this SBS you give others a massive leg-up - thank you so much!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That's classy, Tim. The use of colour is great, and the shirt/tie/cardie/blazer could've been a right mess, but instead it's beautifully crisp.

As you (and Jim) said, it is just a set of simple steps. The skill comes in knowing which steps to take, in what order. And with this SBS you give others a massive leg-up - thank you so much!
Cheers Paul. The crispness comes from the black outlining. It differentiates the colours and gives them their own visual space (listen to me, spouting all arty LOL).

Yep, the effect is generated by success steps. No real skill though, work from the inside out and the next layer will always tidy up your mistakes.….

I‘m glad you think the SBS helps. I’m really trying to demystify the whole process. I think modellers see figures as “difficult” and are then on a hiding to nothing. Figure painting is very like weathering, best if you build up the effect in layers….

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Just seen this, another exceptional piece of work here Tim! I particularly like the jacket, the ultra fine detail on the toy aircraft plus the base is beautiful. Superb. G

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just seen this, another exceptional piece of work here Tim! I particularly like the jacket, the ultra fine detail on the toy aircraft plus the base is beautiful. Superb. G
Very kind Gavin. Hope the SBS is of some use as well.