Solvent For Hairspray

P

phikoleoputra

\ said:
Exactly! Before the enamel has fully dried, the scrubbing action loosens it up allowing the water to eat away at the hairspray. That in turn loosens more of the enamel from beneath the paint causing the worn effect.
Again, this rather highlights the difficulty in controlling what's happening. I've only used it for recreating a very worn whitewash where losing a lot of the top coat wasn't an issue.
Thanks for the insight Patrick, I think I'm gonna stick with the good ol sponge

S

Stevekir

\ said:
..............This explanation probably doesn't make much sense, but I'll be doing some chipping tomorrow, so perhaps I can illustrate it with some pictures?
All very clear. Thanks. It seems that the salt method involves preventing the top colour coat from being applied to parts of the rust coat; the hairspray method involves rubbing away parts of the top colour coat to reveal patches of the rust coat; and the sponge method, being the other way round, involves applying the top colour coat first and then dabbing on patches of rust. I will experiment.

Some pics of your method would be nice.

First Name
Adrian
There is also the Maskol method as well, I used this on a Battlestar Galactica Viper I built and was impressed at how easy it was to do and the effect.

Adrian

S

Stevekir

I have now got two shades of Mig Rust Pigment.

With all four methods (salt, hairspray, maskol and sponge) some or all of the paint on the surface of the finished model is not protected from handling etc. Most of my models have a final coat of varnish or have a hard gloss finish. Although I don't expect admirers to be rough, and dusting can be done gently, wouldn't it be good to put on a final overall coat of (probablymatt) varnish? What do you think?

Also, Mig pigments being a powder, surely it needs a liquid medium. What medium is used for that? Perhaps a diluted matt varnish?

I will of course experiment. (I fancy the maskol method).

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul

Jon did a good vid a while ago that i found useful

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Use course salt and crush it up a bit, that way you get a good mix of large and fine grains.

S

Stevekir

beowulf: "Jon did a good vid a while ago that i found useful"

Yes. I've found it. Thanks

Last edited: