Some new busts from Sarnia Miniatures

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Mick - Sure can't. I was aware that there had been a bit of discussion about my so-called 'style' on PF - some for, others against. Bit odd really.

Steve - Don't worry. Richard will suddenly bounce back - he always does.

OK, the head of the ATA pilot is done:

100_2601.JPG100_2602.JPG

Women's faces are hard to paint, especially young women - no lines and creases and no stubble! Instead, just hours of trying to blend the tones.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Dont worry about P.F my friends.Ive had stuff reviewed on there and still no sales on them.Its very cliquey i feel if you arent in the collective.Id rather plow my own furrow.Sarnia miniatures and Mookies are always happy with box art paintings.We will back someday.Being a carer for my wife after a big op takes a lot of time up as you can imagine.Too hot to sculpt at the mo.There will be some comedy releases from us in time for Christmas so be warned.
Keep chins up me hearties.
Richard

First Name
Andrew
Peter and Richard. Don't listen! Stay here amongst your friends who appreciate your talents. There are 'armchair generals' everywhere, but I've not found them here thankfully. Its a funny old business, which no one's going to get rich from. Just get enjoyment from it, and if others appreciate your work, it's a bonus but not why I do it!
Andy B

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Once again Peer had done a cracking job on the bust, and so quickly in this weather. it will be available on my sarnie miniatures site be the weekend.

Peter - you cannot please everybody; I know that some people will look at my busts and not like them, such is life, as long as you enjoy your painting then it is all worthwhile.

Peter

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you Andrew B.
Yes there are a nice group on here and as long as there are a few friendly folk then its more than worth it.I know some say have broad shoulders but its easier then done.The cameraderie counts rather than nit pickers.Peter d enjoys his painting,Peter G likes his sculpting and thats what matters.We learn a lot from others and especially Andrews trench workings which are mindblowing.
I look on you good people as friends ive yet to meet.
Mogel on friends one and all.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers chaps. The trouble with sticking your head above the parapet (ie box art) is that anybody is free to have a go, and they don't hold back on PF. One of the many reasons I'll never join what is an elitist and unfriendly site. I'm not particularly bothered by adverse comments and can take criticism on the chin - how else do we learn?

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Planet Figure, hummm, when I read that I did wonder until your follow up comment:cool:

Seems "Valiant" is a sculptor not a painter, make of that what you will.

Lovely finish, and I for one would be more than satisfied if I ever got close to emulating your "style" Peter.

I still have a primed 1:16 figure, mocking me from a corner of my desk!

One day I will have another go.

Until then, I'll keep absorbing all your wonderful work.

Have a good day with the paints, and look forward to another installment of your unique "style"

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve J - Many thanks.

Steve H - Yes, I had a look at Valiant's work too. Good sculptor, competent, but mediocre painter, and I don't see that the style is that different from mine. I can take constructive criticism, but his comment just seemed like a strange thing to say. Anyway, stuff Planet Figure. Have a good day at work.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Really nice indeed.A fitting tribute to her memory.A remarkable lady with many stories to tell.
Fly high now Mary.
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Beautifully done. Female flesh is not easy I'm sure but you have it spot on.
Completed on the day of Mary's death - a nice coincidence.
Jim

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi
Peter has done another cracking job on this bust. a sobering co-incidence Peter finishing it on the day of Mary ellis's death, it was her story which inspired the bust. as Richard said, she was a remarkable lady who flew hundreds of aircraft to the front line.

I now have the very daunting task of finishing painting my own version - not easy to follow Peter!

Peter

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great finish on Mary and an appropriate memorial to her.
I read Jackie Moggridges (another female WW2pilot) biography a couple of years ago and found what those women did was truly remarkable. They basically turned up at the factory, were given the handbook and told to deliver the aircraft.....any aircraft from multi engined bombers to small fighters. They didn’t get familiarisation flights, just told to get it delivered... Jackie’s book told of her propping up the pilot’s handbook of a Supermarine Walrus in the windscreen so she could read it as she took off....
Cheers
Tim

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Apparently she flew 76 different types of aircraft. Remarkable.
Peter

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening, awaiting the storm of storms.
Peter.
Remarkable ladies, and what a co-incidence you finishing on the announcement of her passing.

As for the coment I'd say it was a tinge of jealously. Forget planet whatever !
John.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
John

Difficult to believe the forecast of storms, here it is still warm and still, not a breath of wind. But I just had an email saying some clients from Paris will not be coming over tomorrow because their pilot does not expect to be able to land tomorrow morning!

Just been outside to put the outside cushions under cover just incase.

On the plus side- rain equals no gardening and more model time.

Peter

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Cheers chaps. The trouble with sticking your head above the parapet (ie box art) is that anybody is free to have a go, and they don't hold back on PF. One of the many reasons I'll never join what is an elitist and unfriendly site. I'm not particularly bothered by adverse comments and can take criticism on the chin - how else do we learn?

Morning Peter

You have come a long way since I first found your work at MM, and you are still getting better with every figure and bust.

The ATA bust, is another superb rendition of your Style on a great sculpt, well done Peters

And a timely memorial to a generation that gave so much, and though they are fading from memory, we should never forget the sacrifices they all made.

Long may you continue to inspire us all with your painting Peter.

Whats next?

Last day of the working week, then hopefully a fresher weekend for everyone.

Have a good day with the paint

regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers for the replies chaps, It got a bit too hot to sit at the computer last night. Glad everyone likes this and a big well done to Peter G for an excellent sculpt.

Back to the Ardennes next.......