Some where on the Volga....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I got it done and got some pictures of it so I s'pose you lot want to se them now!

The first one is of the first base which was just the wronge way round; loads of land and to little water. Not a good thing for a water dio.

The rest are all of the compleated job.

The water was a challenge but I think it sort of worked. The hard part was cutting the hole for the jeep, then sealing in in so the water resin did not all run down into the bottom section!!!

Hope you like it 'cause I aint doin it again !!!!

View attachment 27568

View attachment 27569

View attachment 27570

View attachment 27571

View attachment 27572

View attachment 27573

View attachment 27574

View attachment 27575

View attachment 27576

View attachment 27577

View attachment 27578

View attachment 27579

View attachment 27580

View attachment 27581

View attachment 27582

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2611.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Brilliant work looks really good

F

Fenlander

That looks stunning Ian, love the water with all the pebbles at the bottom, looks very realistic. How to you get the whiter bits where it sloshes round the amphibious?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The "water" is only 4mm thick! The whole of the water area is a plate of acrylic from the DIY shop. I cut a hole for the jeep and filed it out so the truck could just fit.

Then I took some vallejo 'Water effects' jell and painted it around the hull. Its quite thick and can be pushed around for ages to get it where you need it. You can also make "waves" out of clear plastic sprue and apply it over that, but I didnt bother as I did not want waves, just a bit of disterbance. Once that had had a couple of days to dry. (normally dry in a day but its cold in the shed!) I poured Vallejo Still water resin over the whole lot!!!

After a few more days, I gave it some more. Before that layer was totally dry/set, i just swished my finger tips through it a couple of times to get the ripple effect.

The still wate resin is by the way good for casting small things with. So if you need clear parts copied thats the stuff to use. It can also be tinted with Any colour you like, so its got lots of uses! Mix it with black; instant oil! Brown and you got a nice muddy puddle.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I could only look at a couple of your piccies as I'm on a crap connection but they look fantastic. I love the scene and the water looks,well,like water and you can't do better than that. Well done indeed.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Ian that is awesome work!The attention to detail is great, love the empty wine bottle on the front ?

Trey

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
thats amazing how long did that take you mate ?.....
Way to long!

The Schwimwagon and the Jeep took about a week to build and paint.

The figures took even longer. I was trying some thing new and painted them with the airbrush! (but not the faces).

The base took all in all about a month a lot of time waiting for things to set, dry or harden!

The wine bottles are simply stretched clear sprue.

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ian

All is revealed!

Great work, the water looks fabulous and the Russians look like they're enjoying their fishing trip (although maybe not for long!)

Quality work and well presented, brilliant!

Paul

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
^^ What they said! That's fabulous and ***** from me!

Gern

PS Graham - you were thinking of doing some casting for some wheels. What about Ian's idea? (Sorry to nick your thread Ian)

N

noble

nice work ian i do love the water and being a fisherman can appreciate the scene the detail is very well done, and i love the first base i hope you have not binned it. well done.

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks chaps.

Scott, dont worry its not been binned, I will be using is for some thing else later. Might just have some thing to do with fishing.... or model boats. dont know yet-

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely brilliant, bags of character, great composition and all executed by a fantastic standard of modelling. To cap it all you can't help but love a diorama that makes you smile!

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, Brilliant work their, the water, pebbles at wash from the boat are really life like. The guy with the bottle, is that a self portrait? 5 Star from me. Cheers Derek

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
This is not fair Ian, you keep on pushing the bar up mate. Absolutely brilliant, five stars.

Have fun, John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for all the kind words. I was hoping it went down well but I was not expecting this kind of reponse! Guess I will just have to do more of these diorama thingies now :laughing:

Ian M