sopwith camel:-flown by capt LP Coombes

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work Ole the colour scheme is just fantastic and the wooden prop sets it off wonderfully 5 stars from me

I

iwan_canobi

Rigging looks good, you must have some amount of patience! Very nice model all told! I know nothing about older planes, but how did the guns manage to not destroy the propeller when they were mounted right behind it? Was there some kind of synchronisation between them?

M

mobear

The term covers two related technologies: the first, more accurately referred to as synchronization gear, or a gun synchronizer, is attached to the armament of a tractor-type craft so that it can fire through the arc of a spinning propeller without the bullets striking the blades.found this it might help people to understand

mobear

D

dubster72

Top marks to you Ole! You've done a terrific job on this old kit. Rather you than me though, doing that rigging - give me tiny pieces of PE anyday!

Cheers

Patrick

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh well done old chap! seams to be an appropriate phrase.

Great job on the paint scheme one to try later me thinks. As for the rigging, it looks to me that you got the better of it.

Ian M

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
wonderfull job! Paint scheme is very unique!

M

mobear

thnx guys,i keep looking at it,it sits above me,and every time it seems too look better also the springs on the landing gear made from guitar string heated so that it recoiled back(got that idea from here lol)

mobear

Last edited:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very nice job Ole. That's one hell of a scheme! Looks great and the wooden effect on the prop looks very convincing.

All the best

paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic work ole! This looks amazing, top marks for the build and top marks for the paint job! cheers tony

C

CDW

not bad for a lost viking, not bad at all :smiling3:

paint schemes awesome mate.

that rigging must have took some patience, you're nearly up there with saint Ian :smiling3: :smiling3:

M

mobear

thnx colin it now has pride of place,next to the apache lol,my patience was wearing a little thin,but i made little plugs from stretched sprues this was a life saver lol

mobear

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice looking camel. That paint scheme must have been a right laugh ??

Colin M..

I

Ian Macleish

Hello, Ole. My name is Ian, and I'm a grandson of L.P. Coombes. I'd love to know how you picked his plane, and where you got all the information in order to build the model from. I have a photo of the original plane, taken at the time in Autochrome (an early colour process), if you're interested in seeing it.

I

Ian Macleish

No, it's not a model. It's a photo of THE original plane taken, by the looks of it, in the winter of 1918/19.

0ne48thtel

Ole top hole old bean jolly good show and all that that paint job must have taken some work.