spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here's my entry........

P1160001.JPG

P1160002.JPG

Now't special. An Airfix 1/72 Bf 109E...£1.00 from The Cosford Show earlier this year.

I have two 1/48's and one 1/32 109's, but I didn't want to use any of them, because I'm going off on a bit of a tangent with this, and the aircraft will be smashed to h**l.....sort of. ;)

Cheers,

Ron

0ne48thtel

Sounds good Ron I shall be watching this got my chair pulled up.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Oh, a knackered wingy thing...sounds good Ron. 

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers boys,

All I have in my nut at the mo' is I don't want the thing just sat there on it's undercarriage, so......Blasted apart in the air or smashed into something on the ground - or in the air even? I'll crack a can and wait for an idea to penetrate my skull!

T

Triumph

How about like the one that's at Duxford as a belly crash landed

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good idea Peter, I took a photo of that very scene when I was at Duxford a few years back.

Unfortunately, I did a similar mini dio. a while back called 'A Quiet corner of Kent - 1940' That 109 ended up half in a pond!

So I'll need to come up with something else, but thanks for the suggestion. 

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Seein' as 'ow you're so good at wrecked buildings, how about it buried in the side of one?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one chaps...........It's even got the S.M. bucket on display too!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm Breaking up mid air after having bounced of the water while attempting to ditch it in the drink? 

Pilot standing on the wing while the plane gently bobs up and down on the sea after a succesful ditching...?

An embarrassed pilot dangling  in a tree from his parachute, his ride parked in a tree on the other side of a road or waterway....?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Some neat ideas there. Thanks folks.

I was going to do something in the European Theatre, but have decided to go N. African!

I haven't done an aircraft in ages, and I'd forgotten the fun I had painting the different cammo. patterns, so I'm back in it again and loving it!

It's great brush painting, as I don't need to faff about with masking and that putty stuff...... :smiling3:

Here is the initial painting stage. The aircraft top and bottom painted, with the two colours blended along the fuselage sides. Brush painted with Vallejo Model Air

It looks as rough as a bear's a**e at this stage, but it will come together- I hope!

P1160031.JPG

P1160029.JPG

Next up, the mottling.

Cheers,

Ron

K

Kressy_13

Nice mate. Looking forward to seeing how this gets wrecked. Lots of really good ideas.

Rbaker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looking Good
just a question but is the air filter the wrong way round surely it should be pointing forwards

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking Good
just a question but is the air filter the wrong way round surely it should be pointing forwards

What an eejit! Thanks Richards for pointing out such a glaring error. I've just hacked the piece off and re-fixed it......and painted it again.

P1160036.JPG

It's usually the wife that informs me I'm wrong, so it's refreshing to be told the same by someone different! I must put such an extraordinary occurrence in my diary..... ;)

Thanks again,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A couple of hours ago I exchanged p.m.'s with Steve (stona) on the subject of this aircraft's cammoflauge in N. Africa. As usual he gave me all the info., plus a couple of images of the 'Tropical' Bf109.....

Thanks Steve, I though you would have had enough after me pestering you about Helmut Wicks and his aircraft ;)

Here is the result, again brush painted.

Squeeky clean, as the 'artist' has just stepped off the aircraft after getting the brush out in the middle of the desert, so I still have to weather and sun bleach the overall paintwork.

I've also started to cut in some detail.

P1160037.JPG

P1160038.JPG

I've also found out why I only paid a quid for this kit - no pilot and one of the rear stabilizer support rods is missing. Good job I'm going to wreck it!

Thanks for looking in.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Doug Hughes

That's some wonderfully smooth brush painting, Ron - makes me want to get the hairy stick out again (that's not a euphemism for anything, before anyone asks).

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Doug. Nice thin coats does it.

Here is the aircraft with a dull down coat to take away the harshness of the cammo. Just a very, very thin coat of white acrylics applied with a good sized flat head brush. I've let the wash run down the sides of the airframe too. This gives a subtle streaking to the sides.

It all looks naff now, but when it gets a coat of sealer, all the excess lines where the paint has gathered will disappear but still leave the dull finish.

P1160040.JPG

A bit of Klear next, then the decals. Then more dulling down.....this is fun!

Cheers,

Ron

K

Kressy_13

Liking the look of the camo mate. Nicely done. Will be a shame to smash it up.