Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest V

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is looking very good!

Steve, you'll have me reaching for my credit card and buying the kit if you're not careful!

Cheers

P

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This is looking very good!

Steve, you'll have me reaching for my credit card and buying the kit if you're not careful!

Cheers

P

Well Paul, far be it from me to incite anybody to spend their hard earned cash, but if you want a 1/32 scale Tempest this is definitely the one to get :smiling3:

You can see from the way the entire area in front of the fire wall is a separate assembly, and from the 'unused' parts on the sprues, that there will be other Marks of Tempest coming along in the future too.

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It's certainly a temptation but I'll build the PCM kit first and see how that turns out.

Maybe in the future  ;)

Paul

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

The instructions do look to be a bit of a mess, but the finished cockpit looks exceptional. 

Good job mate

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Slow progress as I'm not getting much time at the moment.

The main construction is finished and I've primed the model. There are a couple of 'ghost' seams which have appeared, but once fixed I can start painting.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Underside is sprayed Medium Sea Grey and masked and the Ocean Grey is on the upper surfaces. As you can see I've laid my Blu-Tac worms along the upper camouflage demarcations.

IMG_1723.JPG

I don't try to rigorously follow every curve and squiggle of the original pattern, but I do make sure that the demarcation runs through a selection of 'cardinal' points in order to get the overall shape and size correct.

All I have to do now is mask the Ocean Grey areas and spray the Dark Green :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking very good Steve.

That's some nice 'tight' masking (well, outlining!) should spray up to a great camouflage.

Cheers

P

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Always looks a bit of a mess with the Dark Green and masking on :smiling3:

IMG_1724.JPG

I'm hoping to post shade this later today and unmask it before I set off for a couple of days away in the morning!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've been too busy to get much done with this...but I have changed my mind about the eventual scheme, which means I have had to apply a Sky fuselage band After the camouflage, which is not my usual system.

I am getting ready to spray the markings, hopefully starting tomorrow. When applying the masks for roundels you obviously can't slide them about like a decal and it is very important to apply the masks in the correct place first time. How, I hear you ask, does one do that. Well, this is my method.

1)photocopy the decal sheet onto plain paper and cut out the markings, roundels in this case.

2) Make a small hole in the centre of the roundel.

3)Apply the paper roundel to the model and fiddle about until you have it where you want it.

4) Apply a spot of white paint through the hole you made earlier and remove the paper 'decal'

You will now have the centre of the markings marked like this.

IMG_1743.JPG

I apply the masks with a needle pushed through the centre, which I can line up with this mark. You have to leave the centre just clear of the backing you use to transfer the mask, but it can be done, with care, even with quite large and complicated masks. All you must remember is to put a little bit of masking over the hole in the centre mask before you spray the next colour. In my case red of the roundel is masked and the white ring sprayed, so you don't want another white dot in the middle of the red centre :smiling3:.

This is easiest with something round (like a ....errrrr...roundel) but it will work for other markings too. With most others you just have to be careful with the orientation around that centre mark.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Spraying and masking the national markings takes a while, particularly if, like me, you use enamel paints. I started yesterday evening and this evening I have removed the final masks.

IMG_1744.JPG

I will spray the codes, serials and walkways over the weekend, these need time to thoroughly dry before masking. At that point I need to look at all the 'dangly bits' !

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Excellent job on the markings.

M

Messerschmitt

Paint job looks so professional for me! Very good job!  B|

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks all, it is taking forever!

I was hoping to spray markings today, but I've been put of fence painting duties by the boss ):

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The markings that were to be sprayed are now all sprayed. I've just finished up with the 'black' serials and the wing root walkways. There are of course still some decals to be applied, but these will wait until I can put a gloss coat on the model, and that in turn will wait until the painted markings have had time to thoroughly dry.

The glossy blue of the roundels is because I had to mix my own roundel blue (someone hadn't put the lid back on the usual tinlet properly!) and I used an old tin of Humbrol 15 (gloss) as the base for this.

IMG_1745.JPG

Spraying markings is not for everyone, certainly not the impatient! They are also an expensive addition when there are perfectly good decals in the box. However, they will always look better than decals, you can weather them and, as seen here, the Sky fuselage band will exactly match the code letters as the paint came out of the same tin. (and I've just noticed a little touch up is required, missed that with the Mk 1 eyeball). Though the Sky of the decals in this kit is a pretty good match for the White Ensign/Sovereign Hobbies paint I use, this is not always the case.

IMG_1746.JPG

Cheers

Steve