Special Hobby 1/48 Martin Maryland.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 85932

View attachment 85933

View attachment 85934

View attachment 85935

Done a bit more tonight.The props and wheels needed holes drilling out so they would fit on the axles and prop shafts.And there was a fair bit of flash on the undercarriage legs and props that needed cleaning up.On top of the engine cowlings is a large gap where they join the wing.So I've filled it with plastic card.I found some more gaps around the clear parts which I have now filled.Getting close to the painting stage now.Infact, I might get a coat of primer on tomorrow evening.image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice clean work Dave, those engines and cowlings do look spot on.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Dave
View attachment 86071

View attachment 86072

This evening I sprayed the glazing with the interior colour Vallejo chromate green.When this had dried I put a few coats of Alclad white primer on the model.Im pleased with how it's turned out.But will give the model a closer inspection tomorrow.The aircraft I'm modelling was previously a French Air Force aircraft.They were sprayed without a primer coat.So the paint weathered quite badly.Im going to try and replicate this on my model.Havent had much success with chipped paint in the past.But I'm going to have another go.image.jpg

image.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Dave

Just caught up with this build again and read through the previous posts. The work so far is excellent and you've made a great job on this short run kit. Best of luck with the chipped paint finish I'm sure you'll pull it off.

Cheers

Paul

T

treyzx10r

Great looking base Dave ,looking forward to seeing the chipping !

Z

Ziper_it

Nicely primed. Now looking for the weathering phases.

Francesco

First Name
Dave
View attachment 86117

This particular aircraft suffered a lot of paint flaking.If I try and replicate it I know I will make a mess of it.So I've decided to just do the wing and tail leading edges and the cowl fronts.So tonight I've sprayed some Humbrol enamel silver on these areas.Tomorrow I will apply some salt.Ive done the salt method once before on a Phantom and was pleased with the results.image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Dave, you've got this mate, the salt chipping on your F-4 was spot on, this will be no different. How did you find the silver? I recently used a new pot but it looks like Humbrol have 'dulled' their silver down semewhat.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Dave, you've got this mate, the salt chipping on your F-4 was spot on, this will be no different. How did you find the silver? I recently used a new pot but it looks like Humbrol have 'dulled' their silver down semewhat.
I actually used Humbrol steel as the only aluminium I have at the moment is Alclad or Vallejo.I tried spraying other colours over the Vallejo once and it didn't like it.And Alclad requires a gloss black base coat to work properly.Thats why I keep coming back to enamels as I'm my experience they are better for this sort of thing.I saw this aircraft on a Czech model club stand at Scale Model World show a couple of years ago.The man who built it used an 'AK Interactive' product to do the chipping effect.It looked superb and far better than anything I could do.

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I must try my Humbrol steel paint, I used traditional silver 11 recently and was rather disappointed.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 86230

View attachment 86231

View attachment 86232

View attachment 86233

I'm having a lot of trouble deciding which paints to use on this one.Ive looked at lots of pictures and other stuff on the web and still can't find a definitive answer.The kit painting guide is in black and white and a bit confusing.But I've downloaded a colour version from the manufacturers web site.Ive managed to find a French colour chart on the IPMS Stockholm site.But even that's not a lot of help. It appears the colours on the real aircraft varied a lot depending on where they were painted.I've used RLM76 on the undersides.Mainly because I've got two tins of the stuff!.Upper surface brown shades I've seen vary from chocolate brown to hull red.I know the grey colour is a blue grey shade.Ive two to choose from.And I've decided to use Humbrol 30 for the green.Ive also changed my mind about the chipping and have decided to do more of it.So I've sprayed some more Humbrol steel on the model and will put some more salt on tomorrow.image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Looking great Dave,see the salt going on and loving it! I'm sure you'll get the color sorted !

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I know we've already discussed the colours etc and you're probably a bit over the research of the paints Dave, but I found this:

First Name
Dave
Thanks for that Joe.One of my paints is on your list.No.145 called medium grey by Humbrol.I will investigate the green and brown shades.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
I had a look around the RAF museum in Hendon,London yesterday.Whilst I was there I went into Hannants shop,which is nearby.Saw several kits I fancied,but with 44 in the stash I couldn't justify buying more to myself. Instead I spent £40 on paints and other bits and pieces.I got some Humbrol 98 brown and 102 green for the Maryland ,which according to Joe's chart are the colours I need.Tonight Ive masked the engines and fuselage sides.Then I applied some more salt. Tomorrow I will start spraying the upper surface colours.

View attachment 86344

View attachment 86345

image.jpg

image.jpg

First Name
Dave
I've just put a coat of blue-grey on the model.The problem Ive got now is masking the model for the rest of the camouflage without knocking the salt off.One way would be to make card masks and hold them just off the model.Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

View attachment 86449

image.jpg