Special Hobby 1/48 Martin Maryland.

T

treyzx10r

Looking great Dave,I'm liking your idea of using the card mask to avoid disturbing the salt.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Looking great Dave,I'm liking your idea of using the card mask to avoid disturbing the salt.
It means a bit more work but is probably the way to go.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 86566

I'm trying to mask the model for more camo painting.And in the process I'm knocking the salt off.I think I've gone about this in completely the wrong way.It looks a right mess at the moment.But I will persevere and it will turn out how I want it to.Ive noticed the paint rubs off with a cocktail stick.So I should be able to recover the chipping where I've knocked the salt off.Im going to try and get some AK Interactive chipping fluid (or whatever it's called) before I try this again.image.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Dave I'm sure you'll win this battle,the salt chipping is supposed to be random anyway;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Its looking good.

I found it easier to salt the sections of different colour one at a time.

As, if you are painting acrylic over enamel, the softer acrylic is easier to "damage" than the enamel so you can work it quiet well before it hardens off.

If you have a fiberglass pencil, or burnishing pencil, you can gentæy 'ware' the paint off until you can just see the 'metal' underneath.

I am sure you get the idea.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
Well this is the result of my attempt at a chipped paint finish.The salt was very difficult to remove.So in some areas Ive gone through to the primer.As usual when I try something to 'improve' my models it doesn't quite come off.So I'm going to leave this one now and build something else whilst I decide what to do with it.

View attachment 86891

image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Well it's chipped Dave :smiling3: In my opinion and from that photo, you've nailed the effect in sections, particularly the rear fuselage area. I reckon repaint the areas you're not happy with in the main colours with salt over the silver areas you want to keep, that would tone it down and prevent a total rework of the paint and base. The colours look pretty good too Dave, I think you have the right combination there.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's a real shame Dave, a real shame. The build looked excellent right up to the salt technique. I:do hope you can pull this back, it's a really interesting aircraft and all the effort you put into building it should not go to waste.

I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Paul

First Name
Dave
\ said:
That's a real shame Dave, a real shame. The build looked excellent right up to the salt technique. I:do hope you can pull this back, it's a really interesting aircraft and all the effort you put into building it should not go to waste.I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Paul
I'm not giving up on it.Going to build my Whirlwind next and then I will have another go at this one.

P

Polux

It's a shame Dave :sad: , but don't give up! You can solve it ;) I'm sure!!

D

dubster72

Glad to see you're not giving up on this one Dave.

Personally, I think the salt chipping technique is too difficult to control & leads to overscale effects.

Using pencils/tiny brush & sponge is much better IMHO.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Glad to see you're not giving up on this one Dave.Personally, I think the salt chipping technique is too difficult to control & leads to overscale effects.

Using pencils/tiny brush & sponge is much better IMHO.
\ said:
It's a shame Dave :sad: , but don't give up! You can solve it ;) I'm sure!!
I don't give up when things go wrong.If I did that most of my builds would end up in the bin!. Ive reached a level in my modelling where I can build a factory fresh , pristine looking model.But I'm not happy to stop there. I want to master these weathering effects I see done so well by some of the members on this forum. So I'm going to have a lot of set backs before I get it right. I'm finding Barry W's current thread very interesting and am going to try some of his techniques.So I will no doubt have a few more set backs!.As someone once said 'The man who never made a mistake,never made anything'.

First Name
Dave
Got a day off today.So despite my last post I have sanded the model with micro mesh sheets.Then I re sprayed the underside colour.Will leave it a couple of days then mask off ready to spray the upper surface colours again.I won't bother with the chipping effect this time.Just a panel wash and maybe a few stains.

View attachment 86914

image.jpg

First Name
Dave
View attachment 87724

View attachment 87725

View attachment 87726

I've just finished respraying the French 3 colour upper surface camo.I used my usual white tack and Tamiya tape masking method.But the White tack seams to have stained the blue grey colour.Ive not had this happen before.I will give it a rub with white spirit soaked cotton buds and hopefully it will come off.image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg