Spitfire Mk.XVI (Revell 1:48)

A

AlasdairGF

OK advice needed. Have had a disaster with my Spit XVI. Started this back in April, and while it was a problematic build pretty much from the get-go, things took a turn for the worse when my wife dropped something on it in a cleaning frenzy. Result:

View attachment 94873

You can see also the trouble I'd been having with the wing root, as well as my pride & joy of this build, the cockpit, which seemed to have worked really well...

View attachment 94874

So, what I want to ask is, how recoverable do you think this is? The fitting of the engine block onto the fuselage mounts was tricky even before the breakage, and trying to dry-fit it as it is reveals something of an issue that I'm not sure how to resolve...

View attachment 94875

View attachment 94876

As you can see, the whole engine is way out of whack with the rest of the plane, and no amount of fiddling seems to get it all to line up. I'm loathe to give up on this - but at the same time, I really don't want to waste ages and ages on a hopeless task.

So - what do you all reckon? Cut my losses? Or just man up & get the job done?

View attachment 94877

(Oh, and that very front piece is upside down, too!)

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

d4.jpg

d5.jpg

d6.jpg

J

John Huggins

Alasdair, where there's a will there's a way, keep at it & it will all come together in the end.

John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cut the upside-down front bit off drill it and make a new propshaft. The two motor mount frames fit in the notch and that should line it up. Check with the panels to see that things are lining up.

Ian M

S

steve scan

Agree with above, when this sort of thing happens to me I tell myself that I am modeller not just a builder and get stuck in, it is very satisfying when you succeed, good luck. ;)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Correct it Alasadair, seems there is more than one way to do it. Otherwise go without an engine and create a propeller attachment inside the nose and cement the cowls in position.

A

AlasdairGF

Right - seems like the advice is pretty clear: put yer big boy pants on and get it sorted. Fair enough.

Now. Where did I pack my big boy pants?

R

Ray Scheller

Build a dio around a crashed Spit. You're already half way home.

Ray

S

Stuart H

I'm with Ray, crash scene diorama or maybe even turn her into a barnyard/scrapyard find?? How about some kinda crane hoisting the engine out?