Spraying pva glue

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Right i've heard alot of people mentioning that when attaching leaves to a tree that they do it by spraying a water/pva glue mixture. Just want to know what do you use to spray said solution and how do you clean it out afterwards?

W

wellsyman

wouldn't Tamiya thinner clean it out .it is strong . I know its not a cleaning product put its only pva glue cheers Steven

D

dubster72

You can get cans of spray glue from Poundshops. I just mix PVA glue with water & apply it with a brush.

I wouldn't try it through an airbrush, I'd be too worried about clogging it up!

Cheers

Patrick

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If you want to risk an airbrush at it you MIGHT get away with cleaning it out with loads of water then a good reamer like rinse.

However, if you have an art shop nearby, you have a couple of better options. Either buy a spray tin of glue, mounting glue type of thing, or ask if they have a mouth sprayer for fixatives. Its two tubes fixed at a 90deg angle a thin one that goes in the liquid and a thicker one you blow through. You could probably make one out of a couple of bits of brass tube, try with 3mm for the thin on and 5mm for the blow tube.

It works the same as a single action airbrush.

Ian M

P

phalinmegob

you could try one of the cheapo pound type shops and pick up a plant mister/sprayer, i got one about three weeks ago for doing the houseplants and have already nicked it for modelling room.i use lots of pva in my work and would not like to risk it going off in an airbrush,it would rinse out easily with water but how many times have we all forgotten to clean out the airbrush straight away or been called away to do something.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
cheers guys. might go to the craft shop this morning to see what spray glues they have :smiling3:

C

CDW

Like Patrick, I use a brush for trees and scenery but to seal a surface i use an old kitchen cleaner/disinfectant squirty bottle (some even have twistable nossels for spray and stream which is handy)

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Went to our local craft shop this morning and got a mouth sprayer. Dead cheap and if it doesn't work i can clean it out and give it to my son to use for painting with.

Thanks again for the help. That's why this forum is the best :smiling3:

T

tecdes

Allyne. If you do not have any luck try Cow Gum. Why the name I have no idea.

We was used it in architecture for constructing models & mounting drawings & was perfect. A good adhesive while still soft & you can reposition. If it gets on anything by accident it will roll off without leaving any marks. Now that strikes a cord must try it as a masking agent !

Laurie

PS Came then in a tube but I bet they also do it as a spray now.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Laurie. I'll have a look out for it. Seriously trying to figure out how to make a realistic tree in 1/35 scale for my first ever diorama. I don't want to buy Woodlands scenics trees as i begrudge paying money for something i should be able to make myself

T

tecdes

In the architectural models Allyne, we made, we used twigs from trees & shrubs. For foliage we used a variety of different sponges & cotton wool. They looked after a bit of artistic work very real.

God that seems years ago now.

Laurie

D

dubster72

Al, get into the garden or woodland, find some ivy & pull it up ( wear gloves! )

Trim the root system, wash the excess dirt off & pop it in the microwave for a minute to kill any bugs.

Then brush with a PVA & water mix & sprinkle with dried herb leaves. I use mixed herbs or oregano. This makes excellent foliage & would work for trees too.

I'll be making one this week so I'll post pics if you like.

Cheers

Patrick

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Please do Patrick. I'll look forward to seeing the pics

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Another good source for trees for diorama's is the hedges around the garden. Box hedges are best.... Great fir trees can be made from the dead flowers from a butterfly bush. (budlia?) bash the dead brown flowers off, roll them around in some thinned PVA then in a tray of that faux grass stuff.

Ian M

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I've started a new thread on how to make trees. Just so that it's easier for people to find on here and also for more people to get some ideas down.

Cheers again Patrick and Ian

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/tutorials/15709-making-diorama-trees-bushes.html#post124656