Starfix A4 Skyhawk yes I said Starfix!!!!!

P

Paul Daniell

Evening all

After coming back to model kits after about 20 years me and my son have started to build up a small stash of kits.

We came across 2 Starfix kits on evilbay with a 0.99p start price on it so we decided they were for us.

When they came we were a little disappointed on what we had got:sad:

The kits are very basic and has very little detail in them at all.

With decided that we would make the skyhawk and us it to practice masking and painting techniques plus we had a new gloss varnish that we wanted to try out on a kit that was cheep rather then ruin a good kit again like we did with the new tool me109.

so off we went. First off there was no flash at all which was good but the plastic was a different type to any of the kits we had done before and even once we had washed the parts the paint would not take to the kit in one coat so most of the plane has had at least 3 coats of paint on it (primer,silver x2,red x2).

Then came the decals just rubbish they melted in the water before they got any where near the plane only one survived ish and that is on the wing.

View attachment 79399

View attachment 79400

View attachment 79401

The other thing i noticed about the kit is that it is out of proportion one wing is longer then the other and the intake on the side on comes out further then the other?

To be honest the only thing that was good about this project is we have found a gloss varnish that does leave white stains:smiling3:.

This project has got me thinking. My skills are no where near as good as anyone of the members on this board but was wondering. Everyone must have a kit in there stash which is a pig and just for fun wondered if anyone else wanted to build there pig kits using no add on's OOB versions of these said pigs and see what comes out. If anyone has one of these terrible starfix kits then it would be great to see someone make a better job of it then we did lol

Who's Game then

Cheers Paul

DA2B2773-9F34-4E6B-A6FE-25CD399BEBDC_zps8iwdobcb.jpg

58F125ED-ED07-42C0-B707-5DA1B989FC86_zpsg7ud6uik.jpg

7297D65A-956F-4561-BFE8-247121DA02EA_zpshcl9dwkc.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Starfix, well you've educated me. That's one to avoid. The first model I built on returning to the fold, no one has ever seen.....................

P

Paul Daniell

yeah they are not the best but wondering if a pro modeler could make one shine??

M

mobear

sort of skyhawk...........ish lol,glad i aint heard of the manufacturer before,and i hope it hasnt put you off model building

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I'm over pig kits for a while thanks. As for Starfix, Google their name and see what comes up. The cat's breakfast is more appealing.

P

Paul Daniell

Yeah did that on Friday they don't say to many nice things about them in the net do they.lol

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The main thing is that you obviously had fun making the thing, whatever it is, and it's not bad at the end of the day.

It can be quite fun trying to make an old and badly fitting kit into something presentable.........but I try not to make a habit of it :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

At the end of the day you have spent some time creating something with your son that he will remember for the rest of his life. It doesn't matter what it was it is the time you have given your son that is absolutely priceless.

Make another one and enjoy it!!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thats one weird looking skyhawk Paul!, the proportions seem all over the place. I know Starfix were a cheapo manufacturer of kits back in the day , not noted for their detail or accuracy . The main thing is that you and your son enjoyed doing it ,as you rightly said its better to have a little experiment on a cheapie . I dont think it turned out bad though , I'm sure your son was chuffed with it, shame about the decals though. As for having Pigs in their stash , Ive got quite a few , I just cant resist a cheap bargain ! The trouble is I take them out now and again ,look at them and shudder ,then put them away again!! Cheers tony

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I have never heard of starfix but I might try one out for a giggle sounds like a bit of fun.

I do have a pig in the stash and I know it's a pig because it's a Lindberg kit and like your Skyhawk it's the general shape of the aircraft as apposed to a detailed reproduction of the aircraft in this case it's the handley page Victor and I want to do a good jo on it for my British Cold War jets collection :smiling3:

P

Paul Daniell

That's the thing think that some modellers on here no matter how bad the kit is they could make even these starfix kits shine.

If you do one then I will have a go at our other one starfix kit of an alpha jet!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
That's the thing think that some modellers on here no matter how bad the kit is they could make even these starfix kits shine.If you do one then I will have a go at our other one starfix kit of an alpha jet!
Paul I've just had a look on evilbay and they make a 1/48 scale Bf 109e it's starting bid is $4,85 that's about £2.50 i might have a bid on it lol

P

Paul Daniell

God they do bigger then 1:72 holy Moley would strangley love to see how bad the kit is lol

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
God they do bigger then 1:72 holy Moley would strangley love to see how bad the kit is lol
I put a bid in last night Paul it finishes in about an hour so I'll find out if I get it or not :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Well I won so on it's way to me is a Bf 109 so I'll see what happens when it arrives , will it be a passable build or will I have to crash it :D

P

Paul Daniell

Can't wait to see if it is a horror of a kit or if the 1:48 scale was better then the 1:72 scales

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Can't wait to see if it is a horror of a kit or if the 1:48 scale was better then the 1:72 scales
It will take about a week to arrive it's coming from Cyprus :smiling3: I can't wait to see it myself tbh :smiling3:

S

spongtastic

Never heard of Starfix before, glad I have now so that I know to avoid.........