Starting to take modelling up as one of my main hobbies.

First Name
Liam
Hi everyone, new here. I am 26 and have always had a fascination with ww2 military vehicles. I have done models since I was around 6 but never seriously, probably averaged 2 small projects a year.

I now have a lot more spare time and a lot more room so am now modelling much much more. I absolutely love building and would say I am actually good at the building part. Dragon kits are my favourite.

However I am not so skilled in the painting department and I am wanting to really practice my skills. I do not however want to spend 12 hours building a model to then make a right mess of it. Does anybody recommend any manufactures out there that do quick kits in 1/35 and 1/48, mainly ww2 tanks and planes I'm not bothered how historically accurate the kits are it is literally just to practice techniques on, average build times of 1-2 hours would be nice.

Thanks all!

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Hi and welcome Liam
We have all made many mistakes, but as long as you learn from your mistakes, you're doing fine.
You are obviously not married if you have spare time and a lot more room :smiling2:
Enjoy.
Garry

First Name
Andy
Welcome Liam, look at Tamiya for easy build kits, some of the 1/35 AVF models are cheap enough to practise painting on.

Andy.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Welcome Liam. For “practice “ kits, my take is to always go with the ones you want to build. You will never put as much effort into a test build because you have no emotional investment in the subject.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Welcome Liam to a great forum. I would agree with what's been said already. Buy a cheaper, older Tamiya kit of something you like.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Liam and welcome to the forum. We hope that you enjoy the more serious return to the hobby and consider becoming a supporter and having full access to the whole of the forum.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Welcome to the Nuthouse Liam......plenty of crazy stuff going on and I'm sure you will enjoy yourself. How about posting up some pics. when you start that Leopard, we all enjoy seeing who's doing what. :thumb2: ;)