Steam launch drawings

K

kevingambrell

Hi

I am looking for drawings of a victorian steam lauch. I would like 1 inch to the foot but sorting out scale is not a problem. Not realy a kit builder so just drawings wanted.

Just finished a turner tripple expansion engine and would like to drop it in the launch. A bit big but think it will look ok with a decent boiler.

My idea is to drag it on a flat bed behind one of my traction engines. daft but old age will do that to you.

If any one can point me too drawings i would be greatful.

regards kevin

K

Kiwi

There is a 50 1/2" Victorian clinker built Steam Launch called "Wide Awake" originally designed for the Stuart Turner Double 10. Article and drawings were in the MAP "Model Boats" magazine April 1972

B

Bunkerbarge

That is an amazing engine you have there and would power a substantial boat hull. With the required boiler to generate sufficient steam you are going to require a big hull to get it all in. I take it though if you are going to drag it behind a tractor that you are not intending making it a working model? A bit of a shame as it would look stunning on the water powering the boat but whatever you do with it will look good.

Do you have any pictures of the engine?

K

kevingambrell

Hello

I think I would make it a working model just not radio control. One big problem would be the boiler all my models are coal fired so not convinced I know how I could coal it using radio. I did try a gas burner on a traction engine but took it all out and went back to coal.

The engine ran on air a week back and yes there is plenty of power in it. As with all Turners its not a scale engine but rather a working engine. This can be seen by the size of the bearings. Still a very nice project in its self.

As soon as I have a moment I will take a couple of pictures and post to the site (Another new concept pictures with out film).

Bunkerbarge, I must say I was very impressed with your U boat looked great. I built the same model a few years ago during a period of ill health and wish I had built it to your level of detail.

Regards Kevin

B

Bunkerbarge

Very kind of you to say so Kevin.

You may find my steam coaster intersting as well, not quite a Turner triple but I get quite a bit of power from a small V twin oscilator.

K

kevingambrell

Hello

I did read the article about your coaster, very nicely put together. It seems that the comercial steam plants are getting to be very good and well past the days of little oscilators.

I get the feeling that you work at sea? what do you crew on? Most of my family have gone to sea at some stage the last being my brother in the RN.

It missed me due to my eye's a big regret i must say.

Regards kevin

B

Bunkerbarge

Hi Kevin, The oscillators nowadays are actually quite powerfull as you can see from the bow wave the coaster makes at full speed. This is with a model that weighs in at over 30 lbs and from a 10mm diameter piston!!

You are right, although I try not to advertise who I work for too much, I am a Chief Engineer of a cruise ship. I started off with Manchester Liners a few years ago and progressed to Cunard Line before transferring to my current employer.

M

mogogear

\ said:
There is a 50 1/2" Victorian clinker built Steam Launch called "Wide Awake" originally designed for the Stuart Turner Double 10. Article and drawings were in the MAP "Model Boats" magazine April 1972
Kiwi- I do not know you are still active on this board or not- but do you have any access to the Wide-a -wake plans you mentioned a year ago?

Thanks

T

tomarack

Wide-a-wake plans

I have some photocopy of this boat plans and some talking about. do you want these yet?I can send it via e-mail.

tomarack