SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I will be building this:
I0buXx4.jpg

In a position akin to this:
ONWTpxf.jpg

OtDOFDw.jpg

There will be a small stretch of trench running pass the position with the characteristic germen wickerwork revetments.
Nj0KWtX.jpg

Interior will be sparse will feature a map table with a flickering lantern - either scratched or form miniarts office supply's
uja85XR.jpg

flickering diode with integrated processor:
VWys06K.jpg

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
*The Lantern*

I was expecting problems with the electrics in the mortar dio so I wanted to get it over with quickly and , well you have to start someqwere...

I was going to use the common hurricane kerosene lamp included in the miniart set but was wondering whether it was period correct.
Design predates the first world war and it is included in the collection at the Hooge Crater Museum - most of the items are found by farmers plowing them up on the former battlefields. - I guess it would be alright to procede
The lamp is on the left:

lR1ucZH.jpg

* Construction*

I cut the transparent plastic part that is the glas insert in half and hollowed out the center to fit the top half of the diode., then glued the diode to part
3xBeVkd.jpg

the base of the lamp had to have the top cut off and a 3,5 cm hole drilled through it to fit the base of the diode and wires - I left it on the spure for ease of handeling

cIDwlj8.jpg

insert, base and top combined - might still need some detailing

NvuRalN.jpg

Video of the diode in action: Setting is 1.5 V - it is rated to 7 v but that is too strong the plan is to only dimly lit the overhead cover for the mortar position:

"At night"

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steven
A most interesting build. I hope the resin kit is well cast. The flickering light is a great idea.
Jim

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm a big fan of illuminated,box diorama style builds so looking forward to developments.

John

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steven .
I think its a great idea, with the light. Unfortunately the video link didn't work ! May be me .

Firing that beast in that hole must have deafened the crew for life! Let alone the fumes and dust .
John

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Great idea

video links didn't work for me either :sad:

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Steven working now, clever idea ,good luck with the rest of your build will be watching with interest .
Pete.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The guys have said it all Steven. Look forward to seeing how it all turns out. Good luck

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Perfection Steven, it looks so real, good work mate. Will add another dimension to the dio.
John .

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Base and Socket:

Base is a 30 X 30 cm canvas frame flipped over with a plate to cover the hole
ZPI8pg5.jpg

5wvx9Ya.jpg

Sides are joined separately using anglevice to ensure a 90 degrees angle
ujHYcph.jpg

YjiSrmO.jpg

Sides and base combined - won't be glued together until final install for ease of handling - ready for some sanding and paint
EWK5tkK.jpg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Lovely micro detailing on the lamp. I hope you didnt have to swear too much:smiling3: