Steve's 1/48 Airfix Hurricane. (Peters Hurricane GB)

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here is my finished Huricane. I wanted this Hurricane to be, not a shiny prestine BBMF example, but a representation of the dirty hard working grafting work horse that the Hurricane truly was. This was a step out of my comfort zone as I have never distressed a model to this extent, never used matt as a finish and have very limited basic weathering skills.

The aircraft is one flown by Pilot Officer Ken William Mackenzie DFC of 501 Squadron RAF Kenley during the Battle Of Britain . He had a very distinguished flying career shooting down multiple enemy aircraft. He will probably be most remembered for after running out of ammunition he rammed his Hurricane into a ME109 to break its tail off.

Ken was one of many Pilots who flew multiple sorties with very little rest and I am sure his Hurricane would have been well weathered. I had no library pictures to go on so I have portrayed his aircraft having a post flight check up after the mid air ramming. I have modified the model by adding flaps, opening up the fuzz to expose the internal frame work, adding a gun sight and rear view mirror. The model is a bit of curates egg, good in places and I am open to constructive criticism as I need to up my game with my modeling.

IMGP0017.JPGIMGP0017.JPGIMGP0020.JPGIMGP0022.JPGIMGP0024.JPGIMGP0027.JPGIMGP0028.JPGIMGP0029.JPGIMGP0030.JPGIMGP0031.JPGIMGP0032.JPGIMGP0033.JPGIMGP0034.JPGIMGP0035.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's a great result. I have no doubt that those planes in the Battle of Britain were indeed 'patched up' just enough to get them into the air again. All involved, pilots and ground crew, have my total admiration and respect.
A great tribute to those brave young men.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent result on that one Steve. The weathering over all looks totally believable. As you asked for constructive criticism though, I would simply say that the airframe is spot on, but the prop looks just a little too new. Perhaps the black could do with fading out just a little.

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's a great result. I have no doubt that those planes in the Battle of Britain were indeed 'patched up' just enough to get them into the air again. All involved, pilots and ground crew, have my total admiration and respect.
A great tribute to those brave young men.
Thank you Jim.
Excellent result on that one Steve. The weathering over all looks totally believable. As you asked for constructive criticism though, I would simply say that the airframe is spot on, but the prop looks just a little too new. Perhaps the black could do with fading out just a little.
Thanks Tim. I think you are right. I did look to see if any of the Hurricanes had any chipping or wear around the leading edge of the prop but couldn't see any evidence of it. But it does look too clean.
I think she looks great. In addition, this semi-open hull is a strong eye-catcher. You really don't see that often. Well done!
Thanks Andreas. I know you have followed this build from day one. Your support is much appreciated.
Very nicely done Steve.
Thanks Andy. Look forward to seeing your finished model soon.
Excellent Steve. Your opened panels has given me an idea for the future. Very inspirational as well as a great build!!

Thanks Doug. Thanks for your interest throughout the build.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well she has had a hard life. Nice one Steve. One tiny detail which is easy to fix if I may.
The red squares on the leading edge of the wings was tape of glued on cloth sealed with the red paint/dope. It was done to keep crud out of the machine guns, and after a sortie, the holes would be open and the area blackend with soot from the ammo. No hole would mean he did not fire his weapon.

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well she has had a hard life. Nice one Steve. One tiny detail which is easy to fix if I may.
The red squares on the leading edge of the wings was tape of glued on cloth sealed with the red paint/dope. It was done to keep crud out of the machine guns, and after a sortie, the holes would be open and the area blackend with soot from the ammo. No hole would mean he did not fire his weapon.
A valid point Ian. I will gather these comments together and when there all in make the ammendments and repost a modified photo.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice work steve , looking well used . One thing you might add is a bit of weathering to the tyres , maybe a dry brush with some brown earth , they would have got a bit mucky on the grass airfields , great job , cheers tony

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Lovely stuff Steve, it's turned out excellently,and given the couple of little tweaks that the guys have suggested it'll be a build of the top level :cool: :thumb2:.

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice work steve , looking well used . One thing you might add is a bit of weathering to the tyres , maybe a dry brush with some brown earth , they would have got a bit mucky on the grass airfields , great job , cheers tony
Thanks Tony. I will add it to my list. I will carry out all these additions at the end then repost a picture of the finished aircraft.
Lovely stuff Steve, it's turned out excellently,and given the couple of little tweaks that the guys have suggested it'll be a build of the top level :cool: :thumb2:.
Thanks Andy. Very kind comments and thanks for following through the build.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
You've done a fantastic job Steve, I have nothing to offer that hasn't already been said for the critique side of things. You've captured the general look of a war-weary Hurricane nicely. There are a few photos of this Hurricane after it's forced landing with the wingtip missing, and associated damage reports online should you be interested in a search.