Stirling Glider Tug

First Name
Wouter
Hi Richard, this is a most impressive build you have going on here mate. Great scratch- and paintwork!

Cheers

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Bros...Wouter and Paul. Glad to have you along for this old build.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wonderful work on the engines. Very metallic looking:thumb2: Great stuff

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Steve, I've been away down south in Singapore last weekend and have not done any bench time or been on the net. This is another one of those old builds that is being shown again. The engines would mostly be covered so strong contrast highlights helped bring out the detail when peering though the cowling.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Continuing the blog on the Stirling. I masked the many windows on the fuselage with white glue using a coctail stick for application. I let the glue flow slowly into the edges.

57.jpg 58.jpg 59.jpg 60.jpg

I forgot to show how I scribed panel lines with the help of a strip of dymo tape as a guide. Then dimples from the injection molding was filled with Tamiya putty after carefully masking the area with cello tape. This helps prevent detail from being sanded of whn sanding the putty.

61.jpg 62.jpg 63.jpg 64.jpg

Any raised plasting from the scribing or raised panel lines were sanded down. The many hundred revits were toned down by wet sanding as well.

65.jpg 66.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Richard, nice of you to show the techniques you use for things like scribing.
Sweet looking tow mechanism too.:thumb2:

Fernando

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
No problem Fernando...always willing to share as it's never rocket science or a trade secret.:smiling:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Any bits that didn't look right was tackled like the flaps which at the wing was hinged and squared off so you can see right through...I covered that with a strip of plastic and flushed it with the wing. The same was done to the tail flaps.

67.jpg 68.jpg 69.jpg 70.jpg

The plane was made ready for masking.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Continuation of the Stirling...it should be paint now...actually no as there is the little details to touch up and mask...

71.jpg 72.jpg 73.jpg 74.jpg

If anyone of you have built an old Airfix kit will know that not all their clear parts fit snuggly, dimples and thick parts are encountered. Proper masking and then filler added at the joints and smoothing out with fine sanding. Dimples filled and edges on thick parts shaved thin to give an optical illusion of a thinned panel for the undercarriage door.

75.jpg 76.jpg 77.jpg 78.jpg

Then pre-shading is done with a steady hand and sore index finger. Then a final burnish to the masking and plugging up any gaps before painting commences.

79.jpg

Next painting begins...

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Richard

Nice to see the wet stuff going on. The build has been great fun to watch. Good luck with the airbrush:thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Steve, glad you like it so far.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
No worries Ian, I find this sight has a blind spot after 10 postings unless you are searching specifically on a subject or modeller that you prefer. Glad you found it...it has just a few posts more to the finish line then I'll start one on the Horsa glider.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
D-Day stripes painted and masked with the dark earth layer applied leaving areas for the dark green to be sprayed...

80.jpg 81.jpg

Blue tac masking in rolls were stretched and contoured for the next color. All masks removed...

82.jpg 83.jpg

You can see the Horsa in the background

84.jpg 85.jpg

There was some paint lifting when the masks were removed so retouching was done. Just look at the heap of masking.

86.jpg 87.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
An impressive amount of extra work going on here, and the results speak for themselves.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Colin, I just wanted to see how far I could go with my old Airfix kits. Got a whole lot of them at a bargain price at a warehouse back when we thought we might never see them again. Now they're back...some with new tooling.:smiling4:

Cheers,
Richard

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Sorry to read about the paint lifting, but a great paint job Richard.:smiling:
Nice work in keeping the pre-shade intact, in multi-colour camo I find it very hard to keep it intact but you've done it.:thumb2:
Nice Horsa too:hungry: