Thanks Steve, I've been away down south in Singapore last weekend and have not done any bench time or been on the net. This is another one of those old builds that is being shown again. The engines would mostly be covered so strong contrast highlights helped bring out the detail when peering though the cowling.
Continuing the blog on the Stirling. I masked the many windows on the fuselage with white glue using a coctail stick for application. I let the glue flow slowly into the edges.
I forgot to show how I scribed panel lines with the help of a strip of dymo tape as a guide. Then dimples from the injection molding was filled with Tamiya putty after carefully masking the area with cello tape. This helps prevent detail from being sanded of whn sanding the putty.
Any raised plasting from the scribing or raised panel lines were sanded down. The many hundred revits were toned down by wet sanding as well.
Any bits that didn't look right was tackled like the flaps which at the wing was hinged and squared off so you can see right through...I covered that with a strip of plastic and flushed it with the wing. The same was done to the tail flaps.
Continuation of the Stirling...it should be paint now...actually no as there is the little details to touch up and mask...
If anyone of you have built an old Airfix kit will know that not all their clear parts fit snuggly, dimples and thick parts are encountered. Proper masking and then filler added at the joints and smoothing out with fine sanding. Dimples filled and edges on thick parts shaved thin to give an optical illusion of a thinned panel for the undercarriage door.
Then pre-shading is done with a steady hand and sore index finger. Then a final burnish to the masking and plugging up any gaps before painting commences.
No worries Ian, I find this sight has a blind spot after 10 postings unless you are searching specifically on a subject or modeller that you prefer. Glad you found it...it has just a few posts more to the finish line then I'll start one on the Horsa glider.
Thanks Colin, I just wanted to see how far I could go with my old Airfix kits. Got a whole lot of them at a bargain price at a warehouse back when we thought we might never see them again. Now they're back...some with new tooling.
Sorry to read about the paint lifting, but a great paint job Richard.
Nice work in keeping the pre-shade intact, in multi-colour camo I find it very hard to keep it intact but you've done it.
Nice Horsa too