Stirling Glider Tug

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi guys Paul, Fernando and Guy, thanks. There's always a hit and miss when painting aircraft keeping the paint as thin as possible and praying that the mask doesn't lift any paint.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Last bits of detailing after removing the masks...
Two things I didn't do here is the first I didn't thin out the air intakes...

88.jpg 89.jpg90.jpg 91.jpg92.jpg 93.jpg

...the second I forgot to dip the canopy in Future...just look at all the scratches!!!!

94.jpg 95.jpg

So far the canopy fit the the fuselage is ok...no gaps except the back.

96.jpg 97.jpg

Hollowed out the access door...what I did in the interior is totally hidden and needs a spy camera to peer in.

98.jpg Decals next...

Cheers,
Richard

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Some great work on this conversion Richard. Yet another build that slipped under the radar.
Why were the turrets removed?

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Mick and Jimbo, thanks for the kind comments.

Some great work on this conversion Richard. Yet another build that slipped under the radar.
Why were the turrets removed?
I'm not too sure but I think it didn't need them as defenses as a glider tug or if it was removed to compensate power to tug a glider.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys,
This will be the last batch of photos on this build. Decals were surprisingly still good to use...perhaps the kit could have been re-boxed with new decals. Weathering followed after decalling was done.

99.jpg 100.jpg

A couple of months after the build I was contemplating to add cowling braces which were found on radial engines for the Hercules engines. Equal lengths of syrene rod in silver were carefully inserted and secured with liquid cement.

101.jpg 102.jpg

I misted weathering streaks with an airbrush. Notice dust settling on the kit...time for another spring cleaning. The final shot below just after completion minus the dust. Washes picked up the panel lines.

103.jpg PICT0005-2.jpg

Thanks for accompanying me on this build blog. I have just started a blog on the Matchbox SBC4 Helldiver. For those interested in the Horsa, I will start that soon, just gathering the pictures together.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hey Scottie aka Paul...sure. At the moment settling in for the World Cup finals.

Cheers,
Richard

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great result Richard:thumb2:, like Scottie I'll follow along for the Horsa too.
As for the scratches on the canopy, maybe Vallejo gloss varnish applied with a varnishing brush will get those away.:thinking:
Although not completely removing them, it will make the scratches less obvious close-up...

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That really is nice Richard. The close up photos are terrific. Looks like you enjoyed this one?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jimbo, Fernando and Steve,

Jimbo, I'm just glad that I finished it.
Fernando, the Horsa post is up and thanks for the tip on the canopy. Since there are openings in the canopy I thought of inverting and pouring Future, roll it around and draining it then apply on the outside as well. Will let you know the outcome.
Steve, apart from the dust and scratches to the canopy I'm happy with the rest of the close ups. The Stirling is a favorite so yes it was fun.

Thanks again for looking in.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard.
Another fine display of your skills .:thumb2:
Taking my seat for the Horsa.
John .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks John...reserved seats at the front.

Cheers,
Richard