Stona's Crashed Fw190. A classic "fliegerdenkmal"

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've done the top camo,no easy feat in 1/72 even if I say so myself! I'm steeling myself for the mottling.

This is all about photo interpretation. What is the light colour on top of the wings and why is it there? I have no idea. I tried the undersurface colour (RLM 76) but didn't like it. This is now a mixed grey something like British Medium Sea Grey. It looks better. I've used it to modify the factory RLM 74/75 scheme.

Mottle tomorrow.....yikes

Cheers

Steve

W

wbk666

seems a shame to use such a nice kit to crash it LOL

You could use one of my rubbish builds haha.

Looking forward to the next installment.

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking great so far Steve. Good luck with the mottling.

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
seems a shame to use such a nice kit to crash it LOL.
There's no real damage on the aeroplane,just a suitably bent propeller

and a squashed spinner which I will make from foil :smiling3:

Stev,the mottling mmmm. I freehand it at larger scales but I'm not sure if I will get it as clean as I like at this scale. I shall have a ponder and come up with a cunning plan.

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Steve i used a cotton bud to do the mottleing on my 1/72 ME 262 worked a treat ( well i think it did )

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Hi Steve i used a cotton bud to do the mottleing on my 1/72 ME 262 worked a treat ( well i think it did )
I'm going to experiment with spraying through a card template. Failing that I will probably go freehand. I know I can do small enough mottles,I'm just worried about the edges being way overscale.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

My eyes hurt thinking about mottle in that scale! Killer looking build going Steve!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I used the template system for the mottle and am not very happy. To tone this down I'll have to remask the whole damned model and overspray with thinned RLM 76 which I'm not sure I can be bothered to do. This is something that I would do freehand on a larger scale (literally mottle by mottle) but not with these pin heads!

Thinking.......

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Aaron
Looks great to me Steve, The mottle looks sweet to my eyes. Id be terrified to attempt mottle so my hat off to you.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
To tone this down I'll have to remask the whole damned model and overspray with thinned RLM 76
Which I've bitten the bullet and done.

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
And got the decals on. Not many in this scale.

Microsol at the ready :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The model is pretty much done,just got to make something to crash?stand it in now :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice, crisp build Steve. Now all you have to do is stick it's nose in ****!

The original picture is great, I've only just taken a close look at it......They certainly have the aircraft finely balanced. I didn't notice the rope the blokes in the foreground are holding. I reckon the 190 is about to be 'Safely lowered' any second now, 'cos all the erks look primed for the "Lower Gently." order.

Great subject.

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Ron,I'm thinking of a ploughed field as I frankly can't be arsed with a cornfield!

There are many photos of upended aircraft and they are frequently being recovered. I suppose that's when someone with a camera turned up. They often seem to have arrived with ropes and surprisingly often ladders. Occasionally they got all sophisticated and rigged an A frame.

You wonder how the pilot got out of a typical WW2 era fighter in this situation. He's going to find himself hanging in a harness about 15' up in the air with not a lot to climb down,probably having nutted the gunsight.

I'm going to skip the figures and just call this "fliegerdenkmal",a vignette rather than a dio :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good plan not doing any figures. They would probably distract the eye away from the main player....The 190.

You might already know, but for a very convincing ploughed field, use some corrugated cardboard and simple peel away one side to reveal some beautiful ploughing! Sling in a few skid marks ect. and job done.....

Cheers,

Ron

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks great Steve and the mottling came out a treat. I do love the look of the FW190, a superb aircraft that really looks the buisness.

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Steve great looking paint ! Mottle is perfect ,what a fun job that must have been ;)