Stonegarth Moor

J

Jonr1234

Well here I am, I'm new and I thought I'd tell you all about my layout!

As you can see there's the main background info of it in my signiture. Stonegarth Moor I have named it and it resides in our loft. It's a great big square about 2ft wide all the way round, which leaves a huge access hole in the middle. It's roughly 10ft by 8ft squareish and there is a rather steep (!)incline that goes down behind the chimney and onto the small branch terminus.

I'm using boring old code 100 Hornby track and all points are motorised (yet not all work!) I've been working on this for about 3 years now and it's slow going because of time issues. I will post some pics soon as I need to get up there and take some first!

When I look at anyone else's layout I think it's great and I can always spot something that makes me smile or think. But when I look at my own I just think it's rubbish, so I wouldn't mind a few comments for when I finally get the pics on here!

Thanks

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Sounds great Jon,cannot wait to see some pictures of your layout,the older track looks better in my opinion anyway,plenty of scope for scenery on your interesting theme,get those pictures taken !

A

adzam

good to see you here jon. i once read that , no matter what a model looks like as long a sthe builder has had a fulfilling and enjoyable time creating that model , then the model is succesful.

J

Jonr1234

Well here are the pictures I promised (finally)

I managed to fight my way through the mass of cobwebs that are strewn across the loft. I haven't had time to get up there in months, a crime!

They aren't particulary good quality as there isn't much light up there and my camera insisted on using the flash. I haven't posted pictures before so please bear with me if it doesn't work...

View attachment 6951

View attachment 6950

View attachment 6949

View attachment 6948

/monthly_2004_06/57272b6b3a20c_Tunnelportals.JPG.9802a1f3b553d52f3aa80197cb7f8350.JPG

/monthly_2004_06/Station.JPG.28b760238dd89314a63ce276702f3512.JPG

/monthly_2004_06/Church.JPG.a893bc5a21d84ab50fb68f4bedec6c60.JPG

/monthly_2004_06/Canal.JPG.30f99598fc41acc4ad87403d344b9117.JPG

View attachment 11593

View attachment 11594

View attachment 11595

View attachment 11596

View attachment 12243

View attachment 12244

View attachment 12245

View attachment 12246

Canal.JPG

Church.JPG

Station.JPG

Tunnel portals.JPG

J

Jonr1234

So, now I've got the hang of this picture posting I'll explain them!

The first picture shows my pathetic attempt at a canal and also the first tunnel portal which the double track dissappears into. You may notice the start of my effort to make the track look rusty by painting it with rust coloured paint! Just round the left and behind the tunnel is my scrap yard, just something small to fill a gap.

Picture two is just round to the right of picture one. This shows the Hornby church which I think is quite effective and the Metcalfe pub, with the small main village road running through the middle. The level crossing is still under constuction. You may also notice the bride and groom posing for a photo outside the church doors!

Picture three is also just round to the right of picture two (notice a pattern yet?) This shows the beginning of the mainline station and also shows the only two houses in the village! You may also note the footbridge which is Hornby, I painted it maroon to better fit the LMS theme.

Last but not least, picture four which shows the opposite double track tunnel portals and also the farm on the hill which is still under major construction, that's the next big project so to speak. You may also note the smaller single line tunnel dissappearing deep into the hill on the far left. That's the branch line that comes out behind the chimney. I worked out that the slope that the branch line goes down is something like 1 in 8 which is extremely steep and only works with small 0-4-0 engines!

Well there we have it! I will post some pics of the branch terminus eventually but at the moment its nothing but track and mess.

I

inkfinger@macace.net

That looks very impressive, good work!

Stephen

J

Jonr1234

why thank you, It's far from completion and I'm too busy to do much to it at the moment! I should have a lot more detail on it soon. Lots of lighting to install and several Ratio signals to construct, paint and install, all operational, of course!

N

noobee captain

Jon,

it is good to see your work. I like the wedding scene and the greenhouse. You are a true scale-modeller :bravo:

Hope you find some time to work on it soon.

Last edited:
J

Jonr1234

It's certainly not up to standards set by some layouts I have seen in model magazines, but I'm proud of it and thats what counts!

Last edited:
N

noobee captain

That is indeed what counts. I am still working to attain something I can be proud of.

One day .....