Stripping enamel and acrylic pain off old figures?

J

Jack10

I've e got lots of old Tamiya figures I painted as a child, and was wanting to repainted a few of them to use in future dioramas as they aren't the best paint jobs.

IMG_2136.JPG

What is the best way to strip them? They were painted using mainly humbrol enamels but also some colours were acrylic. Cheers jack

Ps. Hope I can match all the arms and equipment to the figures and haven't lost too many or might have to have a few amputees in my next dio

First Name
colin
I use Mr muscle multi purpose glass cleaner Jack. Put the figures in an plastic tub cover them with the cleaner and leave to soak for 24 hours then clean the remaining paint with a toothbrush.
Then I clean them with warm soapy water and rinse them with water.

J

Jack10

I'll get myself some of that then col. does it damage the plastic at all? And does it remove all the paint completely? Cheers matey

First Name
colin
It wont damage th the plastic jack it slhou should remove remove dissolve most of the paint the toothbrush will take care of any stubborn bits. Just be careful as it will also loosen some glue. Mr muscle oven cleaner also works the same way but you need to be really careful as it's caustic and can burn you quite badly

J

Jack10

I'm not bothered about removing the glue the figures are put together quite badly anyway so will probably just re do them completely. Ok I'll use the glass cleaner then, cheers again

M

m1ks

Removes all types including cellulose, the paint falls off after a soak, no messing with bags and spraying unpleasant chemicals like caustic oven cleaner etc.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
brake fluid........works every time