Stug Question

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Serious Question.

What is it about the Stug? Many on here have sung with its praises or mentioned they have it in their stash!
Why the Stug following?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Serious Question.

What is it about the Stug? Many on here have sung with its praises or mentioned they have it in their stash!
Why the Stug following?
WELL Doug i think its because there was a certain person on here who was stuck in stug world an he did some great models of them but now moved on as he is a poular guy
chrisb

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The StuG has a huge following among modellers Doug,
Gotta admit they do look pretty mean and rather cool, personally I've done a III and a IV in 1/35,they build up pretty easily and turn out a nice looking model.
There are a huge amount of kits available by loads of different manufacturers, and are, mostly,priced very reasonably.... Even the ancient Tamiya kits are well worth a look ;).

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
As an amateur StuG-a-holic, what is it that appeals?

Hard to pin it down really. I guess, like many of us it just falls under my interest umbrella.
The StuG, like many vehicles has an interesting development history If you like the research part of it.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
There is something attractive in their ugliness. One of my earliest modelling memories is the airfix stug - or assault gun as it is labelled. As mentioned already, there are a lot of kits, in 1/35 and 1/72. A few years ago I built one of each of the main types in 1/72 which was a fun project.

Peter

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Yep the Stug is a ugly bugger but a superb battlefield predator. Excellent ambush vehicle. Sadly always been the poor relation to the Tiger and Panther. But much easier to build, using a simple but sturdy chassis. Easy to maintain and repair in the field.

It destroyed I believe more armoured vehicles than all the other German tanks etc put together? Low height, well armoured at the front anyway. Crewed by well trained men with great skill.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Oh and they used one in Band of Brothers!

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Serious Question.

Why the Stug following?
The low and squat to ground hulk is appealing to many. It’s a difficult kit to get wrong as it is quite basic in all its forms - which makes it a doddle to put together. It was successful in battle and there are many reports and photos that look and sound captivating. In the mid and early versions it has large hatches that make an interior fairly visible - that’s why Dragon include a good basic interior with all their kits

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That was actually an FV 432, of course :smiling3: Not a half-bad mockup, though.
I find mock ups insulting. M48s as King Tigers? T34 as a Tiger? and the silly russian movies with mock up Panzer 4s are vomit inducing.

That said there are movies out there that do treat their audience as respected grown ups with an IQ that goes beyond single digits. I think Cross of Iron is quite authentic with the T34s but I can’t remember if they used T34/76s or T34/85s and what would have been most accurate

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mention WW 2 and there are two for me T34 and the StuG . Both brilliant on the battle field .
The T34 was great by it ease of production, wide tracks, sloping armour and gun. But it’s 2 man turret and lack of radio put it at a distinct disadvantage versus lesser enemy panzers. The T34/85 was much better with a 3 man turret and even more powerful gun as well as an occasional radio but by then there were panthers and Tigers that could out punch it and had much better reach (to use a boxing analogy)
The Stug was also easy to produce and improve upon but even though it was an assault gun (that lacked a turret) it still had an edge over the T34/76.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I find mock ups insulting. M48s as King Tigers? T34 as a Tiger? and the silly russian movies with mock up Panzer 4s are vomit inducing.
At least with mockups they’re trying to get it to look reasonably correct, unlike all those 1960s war films that simply took then-contemporary or just-obsolete stuff and painted it as (a fantasy version of) whatever it was supposed to pass as. Best example, of course, is The Battle of the Bulge with its M47s as Tigers.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Even in 1-87 scale, the lowly StuG. was produced back in the early 1960's. I purchased this one for around $.039 as a 14 year old "collector" of ROCO Minitanks. The applique armour and other mods were done years later in the '80s. These will always have a place in my heart as the memories live on.P1012952.JPG