Stynylrez primer v ipa

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Today I was preparing to put some colour on the hull of a boat. Said hull was primed with Stynylrez almost two weeks ago, so has had more than enough time to cure.
I gave the hull a quick wipe with IPA to remove dust, fingerprints and the such. After the first pass with the tissue I found that the primer was rubbing off! It didn't remove it totally, but if I had carried on it would have.

Has any other users of Stynylrez experience of this happening?
I normally use alclad primer but thought I would give this highly praised Stynylrez a try.....

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I've never wiped neat IPA on stynylrez primer, but paint over it with Tamiya acrylic thinned 50/50 with IPA and never had any problems with the primer lifting.

Saying that, I do clean the airbrush with neat IPA and it cleans the primer straight off.

R_G

Member left By Request
Has left the Building
First Name
Ralph
I've used IPA to strip Stynylrez from parts where I've messed up the acrylic paint work. It needs to soak for quite a while but the IPA will remove it completely. And as mentioned above I also clean the airbrush with it.

J

John Rixon

Agree with Bob, neat IPA is probs a tad hot for any acrylic surface. I usually blow mine down with an empty airbrush, after dusting it with a big soft brush. Glad to hear that there are other modellers
who let dust gather on a build!! ;)

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Agree with Bob, neat IPA is probs a tad hot for any acrylic surface. I usually blow mine down with an empty airbrush, after dusting it with a big soft brush. Glad to hear that there are other modellers
who let dust gather on a build!! ;)

Dust is one thing, bloody cat hair is another! My own fault for having 4 of the little buggers. :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dust is one thing, bloody cat hair is another! My own fault for having 4 of the little buggers. :smiling3:
We only have two and the model room is a cat free zone, but still the old hair turns up.
My normal go to primer is Alclad and that stuff is almost bullet proof. I think I have also used IPA on Vallejo primer without problems...I 'spose I'll just have to stop eating chips or bacon sandwiches before doing model work... .... :-p

You could use gloves when eating the chips and bacon butties. Just a thought.
Tom

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I always use the Mr Hobby surfacer 10000, thinned down as a primer. Since it is lacquer based, it is basically bomb proof to whatever acrylic paints I put on it after.
John