Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is a very nice bit of work that!

I admire your bravardo, as Steve said, its always a heart in mouth thing when you pick up the razorsaw and start the first cut. I have sent many a project to the parts bin that way. Those where the days.

I tend to be a bit of a chicken these days and either stay well away from the 'problem' kits or find ways around things.

Looking forward to the next instalment!!

Ian M

K

Kai

Just a quick one on the 33's the wings are a lot deeped front to back (more surface area for lift)

Just woundering how you are hoing to do that part?

Only cause I cannot think of a good way and was sort of looking for help or devine intervention whoever comes up with best offer lol

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, thanks for your interest, yes my next one will be OOB, or maybe I should just alter the....................... Cheers Derek

Hi Rik, Are you making a SU-33 - Details Please !!!!. To try to answer your question I have seen quoted the wing surface area of a SU-27 is 62m^2 against 67.8m^2 for the SU-33, so its not a massive difference. I do not know how they establish the setting out points for calculating the wing areas. I believe the trailing edge of the wing is less swept back, this being achieved by deepening the root of the wing, and keeping the tip the same. The Russian website below gives access to some basic drawings and photos which are very helpful to the modeller. This website covers many Russian Aircraft, you will need the Google Toolbar or similar to translate. As mentioned in my Posting #9 because the Italeri kits wing is significantly larger that the Zvezda's I do not plan to make any changes (see photo attached). However if I were to do so. I think I would cut the wing just forward of the flaperon hinge position and fit a taper wedge where the cut was made, using either plastic card or old scrap plastic from other kits (I never throw out any redundant plastic from old kits for this reason, saved my bacon many a time). Of course you then have the fun of blending in the modified wing root to the fuselage. Hope this is of some use. Cheers Derek

áÌÆÁ×ÉÔÎÙÊ ËÁÔÁÌÏÇ

View attachment 23829

Wings.jpg

Last edited:
K

Kai

Hi Derek I fount this on the web and I know its in 1:32 but this guy has taken a huge job on and so far so good.

Sukhoi Flanker model 1/32

C

Caledonia

Hi Rik, Have been looking at the website www.rusjet.ru and it gives a fairly detailed spec sheet which seems to be more authoritative than the website I saw previously, which was of the hobby type. According to the above website the SU-27 has a wing area of 62.037m^2 against 62.00m^2 for the SU-33, so essentially they seem to be the same - so who do you believe????. Cheers Derek

K

Kai

Hey sorry not knoking your model or data just thought the link might give ideas nothing more, so sorry for how it may have come accross.

I thought the guy had guts to cut that kit up at the cost of those things there not cheap lol. I think the standard su-27 has more wing due to no canards or that what I seem to see in other stuff on them. I like both versions of the plane

C

Caledonia

Rik, No offence taken, perhaps you thought I was being sharp with my end comment 'so who do you believe' all I meant was you look at two websites and get two answers. Anyway I looked up Sukhoi's own website unfortunately they don't quote wing areas, but the website www.air-technology.com agrees with the www.rusjet.ru website, so I think it is fair to say there is no significant difference in wing area (glad I didn't modify my model), although like you, until now I was under the impression there was a difference in wing area. I agree that what the guy is doing deserves a medal. Cheers Derek

p.s. there used to be a conversion kit, no longer in production, which allowed the conversion of the 1/48 Academy SU-27 to a SU-27K (SU-33) with folding wings - that would have been nice.

C

Caledonia

Hi All, Have re-shaped the tail by adding on some scrap plastic and cutting/filing, also added the exhaust nozzles and painted the exhaust area with Xtracolor - X508 Burnt Iron (looks more like steel to me). I then sealed this area with Micro Gloss and painted it with a mix of Revell enamel paint Steel + Brass and added some Black for the end nozzle section. This will again be sealed with Micro Gloss and dirtied up later. I see that the SU-33 has a re-fueling probe on the port side just fwd of the cockpit, so am about to start to scratch build something for this, this probe is visible at all time, and not hidden behind a panel like most aircraft when retracted. Cheers Derek

View attachment 23904

View attachment 23905

View attachment 23906

View attachment 23907

View attachment 23908

6-SU-33.jpg

14-SU-33.jpg

15-SU-33.jpg

16-SU-33.jpg

17-SU-33.jpg

C

Caledonia

Hi All, have now dirtied up the engine exhaust so it will be ready for masking off tomorrow. Have also made up a refuelling probe from the airbrake hydraulic cylinder I didn't use, and scooped out the recess to fit. Have removed the Canards from the reinforcing shoulder which are the wrong shape, as I want to fix them at an angle. Have fitted the reinforcing shoulder and filled in the area with milliput super fine putty; will leave overnight to dry before filing to shape. Cheers Derek

View attachment 23917

View attachment 23918

View attachment 23919

View attachment 23920

View attachment 23921

View attachment 23922

View attachment 23923

View attachment 23924

21-SU-33.jpg

20-SU-33.jpg

19-SU-33.jpg

18-SU-33.jpg

22-SU-33.jpg

23-SU-33.jpg

24-SU-33.jpg

25-SU-33.jpg

C

Caledonia

Have now finished re-shaping the wing extensions for the canards, and have masked off the engine exhausts ready for painting. Plan to scratch build the arrestor hook as both kits supply a rather spindly circular section mechanism whereas the real thing is a more substantial square box section. Plan to use the Zvezda wheels as they are more accurate. Will post more photos once the model has been given the base coat.

View attachment 23928

View attachment 23929

View attachment 23930

27-SU-33.jpg

26-SU-33.jpg

28-SU-33.jpg

C

Caledonia

Have now scratch built a square section arrestor hook from scrap sprue from my JU-52 which had an unusually large diameter; my one is at the top of the picture, the others are from the Zveza and Italeri kits. Have also filled in the entry groove for my scratch built refuelling probe created when I made the recess with a round needle file and jewellers screw driver. Remaining pictures show the undercarrages and canards etc fitted and the model masked off. Last two photos show the aircraft with its base coat on. I used old stock 70% Xtracolor X602 Flanker Light Blue with 30% Xtracolor XDTT quick dry thinner. Went on very well with good coverage.

One point you may want to try some time is - I used Klear to fix the cockpit, I made sure that it was a good fit, then using a fine brush allowed the Klear to 'wick' around the cockpit edges. It worked very well, and withstood the masking operation. Cheers Derek

View attachment 23937

View attachment 23938

View attachment 23939

View attachment 23940

View attachment 23941

View attachment 23942

31-SU-33.jpg

30-SU-33.jpg

29-SU-33.jpg

32-SU-33.jpg

33-SU-33.jpg

34-SU-33.jpg

C

Caledonia

Have now masked off the model and applied the second camo colour which again is old stock 70% Xtracolor X601 Flanker Medium Blue with 30% Xtracolor XDTT quick dry thinner. After 24 Hrs the model was again masked off and the third camo colour i.e. 70% Xtracolor X603 Flanker Blue/Grey with 30% Xtracolor XDTT quick dry thinner applied.

Am waiting 24 Hrs again, will then remove all the masking and then mask up again for the white going onto the Tail Fins, Radome, dielectric panel etc. Cheers Derek

View attachment 23974

View attachment 23975

View attachment 23976

View attachment 23977

38-SU-33.jpg

37-SU-33.jpg

36-SU-33.jpg

35-SU-33.jpg

F

Fenlander

Nice work on the masking. Got to keep your whuts about you doing something like this. So easy to go out of sink and get the colours reversed lol.

C

Caledonia

Hi Graham, thanks for your continued support. As you can see below have now removed all the masking, and painted the Tail Fins, Radome, dielectric panel etc white. Still to fit and paint various small pieces and Decals, so this posting will conclude the 'Under Construction' posting. Will post pictures of the finished model under Aircraft Pictures in a day or two. Cheers Derek

View attachment 24006

39-SU-33.jpg

F

Fenlander

That is indeed a great masking job Derek, looking really good. Look forward to the final reveal.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well done on what looks like a bit of a b*gger to mask. I've only just noticed how far you've come along with the build,it's looking very nice.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi derek , ive been watching this one with interest,its looking superb now. The flankers always look brilliant in their multi coloured camo,much more interesting than a lot of modern jets in their all over grey schemes. The masking must have taken you ages too, looking forward to seeing the completed model, cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Gents, thanks for your kind comments, am about to load up the finished model. I originally bought the paint I used for this SU-33 for the other Flanker I made, but realized very quickly they were too dark for the Flanker B. However the Sea Flanker's usually have darker colours so just goes to prove hoarding does pay - sometimes. Cheers Derek