Allyne,Vaughan thanks!I decided to spray this build with automotive urethane clear. Using high solids ms clear reduced 20% with base reducer to thin it. Without thinning it would be way too thick and flood away all the recessed details. The plus side to using urethane is once it cures its almost bullet proof to solvents so a pin wash with oil base pigment wo'nt even bother it. This has the added bonus of making mistakes a quick wipe away without fouling whats underneath.
Dave thanks I'm flattered by your generous comments. Steve you humble me Sir,and yes after all the touble it was worth it. Dave W thanks for the compliment I was hoping to do just that glad you think I pulled it off. Paul yes its not done still have to make the tarmac with the rain soaked pavement ,still scratching my head over it at the moment any ideas would be greatly appreciated and thanks. Allyne thanks it will be my luck that a 1/48 offering will come out about a month from now lol(as happened with my Fw189 nachtjager conversion)
That has turned out spectacularly good! I think any one would be hard put to see that its a conversion. I must confess I did have a slight laugh to my self when that Nachtjager 189 was released. Typical.
As for that base, a bit of ½inch ply varnished to seal it will be a good start. Mark on it where the hard and the grass meet. Mix up some runny plaster and smooth it on. Just before it sets, drag a pin through it to mark the patches of concrete and then drag a stiff brush over it to give it that rippled surface. A trip to the hobby shop for some railway scenery grass. Paint the grassy area with PVC glue. You can mix a bit of water paint (or acrylic) to make it muddy, then sprinkle the grass on, press gently down into the glue, then give it a bit more. Leave to dry and then tap it to get the excess grass off. Paint the concrete and then give it some of that two pack to make it look nice and wet. (the concrete, not the grass, I am not sure how it would work on that).