Summer 2011 GB Do217N2

T

treyzx10r

The light at the end of this long tunnel is getting brighter! Its finally on its own feet

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks fantastic Trey

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Trey

Very impressive. Camo looks great

Vaughan

T

treyzx10r

Allyne,Vaughan thanks!I decided to spray this build with automotive urethane clear. Using high solids ms clear reduced 20% with base reducer to thin it. Without thinning it would be way too thick and flood away all the recessed details. The plus side to using urethane is once it cures its almost bullet proof to solvents so a pin wash with oil base pigment wo'nt even bother it. This has the added bonus of making mistakes a quick wipe away without fouling whats underneath.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's beautiful Trey! A real masterclass into what can be done with conversion sets! ***** for sure.

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Beautiful job again. I've been watching your trials and tribulations on this build and they must all be worth it when you see the result. Really well done.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
Another superb build Trey.You cant tell that vacform parts have been used.You must be very pleased how its turned out.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Brilliant Trey! Well worth the effort. Sorry, when you say 'base' is the plan to have this included in a diorama? I suppose 'from a photo build' it would make sense.

Cheers

Paul

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks fantastic Trey. Wish there was a proper 1/48 model kit out there of this kite instead of having to do a conversion like you have. But yours still looks the mutts nuts

T

treyzx10r

Dave thanks I'm flattered by your generous comments. Steve you humble me Sir,and yes after all the touble it was worth it. Dave W thanks for the compliment I was hoping to do just that glad you think I pulled it off. Paul yes its not done still have to make the tarmac with the rain soaked pavement ,still scratching my head over it at the moment any ideas would be greatly appreciated and thanks. Allyne thanks it will be my luck that a 1/48 offering will come out about a month from now lol(as happened with my Fw189 nachtjager conversion)

coachman

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Another wonderful model Trey,always enjoy following your builds John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful work trey, a superb result after a testing build. Its great to see scratchbuilding and conversion sets being used to such good effect. A 5 star job if there ever was one! cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That has turned out spectacularly good! I think any one would be hard put to see that its a conversion. I must confess I did have a slight laugh to my self when that Nachtjager 189 was released. Typical.

As for that base, a bit of ½inch ply varnished to seal it will be a good start. Mark on it where the hard and the grass meet. Mix up some runny plaster and smooth it on. Just before it sets, drag a pin through it to mark the patches of concrete and then drag a stiff brush over it to give it that rippled surface. A trip to the hobby shop for some railway scenery grass. Paint the grassy area with PVC glue. You can mix a bit of water paint (or acrylic) to make it muddy, then sprinkle the grass on, press gently down into the glue, then give it a bit more. Leave to dry and then tap it to get the excess grass off. Paint the concrete and then give it some of that two pack to make it look nice and wet. (the concrete, not the grass, I am not sure how it would work on that).

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Ian thanks so much, yea the release of the 189 Nj was a head bang on the wall moment for sure. Great tips for the base thanks thats a huge help,I'm off to the hobby store!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
From day one this has been a masterclass on how to deal with 'minor' set backs and problems.

Trey, my hat is off to you. A truly superb model. Big 5 for sure.....

Cheers,

Ron