Superfiller

T

Tom Morfy

Has anyone had experience mixing super glue and talcum powder to use as a seam filler? I read an article where this modeler uses this approach. He claims it works great. I wonder how easy it sands out. Can anyone shed somelight on this for me?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

T

tecdes

Have a look at this Tom.

Video tutorial 02 - seam filling using superglue and baking powder

Laurie

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I bought some cheap talc a while ago but havent got round to having an experiment with it yet. Its supposed to be quite good , sanding easier than just pure superglue , and quick setting too. Let us know how you get on tom, cheers tony

T

Tom Morfy

\ said:
Have a look at this Tom.Video tutorial 02 - seam filling using superglue and baking powder

Laurie
Thanks for the video Laurie! I haven't attempted this process yet but now that I see what's involved I will be sure to give this a try in the near future.

-Tom

T

Tom Morfy

\ said:
I bought some cheap talc a while ago but havent got round to having an experiment with it yet. Its supposed to be quite good , sanding easier than just pure superglue , and quick setting too. Let us know how you get on tom, cheers tony
I shall do that Tony. Let ya know how I make out with this process.

-Tom

First Name
Dave
2 years between first and last posts?.Personally I'd just but a tube of filler.There are plenty that will do the job and they are not that expensive.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just to come up to date I use this system routinely for moderate to large gaps. The CA/talc combination sands more smoothly than CA/baking powder. The latter also dries almost instantaneously. Both need to be sanded before they fully cure.

The distinct advantage over simply attempting to fill a gap with filler is that the superglue sticks to all the surface within the gap. It means that you can sometimes get away with a CA filler when otherwise you might have to insert plastic shims etc.

Another advantage is that unlike all the model fillers I have used a home made CA based filler does not shrink.

Cheers

Steve