Swordfish wing wire rigging

• Thread starter Airfix Modeller Freak
  • Start date
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I am making a swordfish by Airfix and for the wires and rigging in the wings, I found that if you actually get some useless sprue, hold it over a candle or toaster (careful!) it melts. Then if you stretch it out it makes great rigging. I found out that it is a method developed by Airfix. Anyway, it is a great method. It also takes time and practice but pays in the end. Always save spare sprue as a tip!!

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hello John,

I've tried this a few times, it seems I don't have either the skill or patience to do it right. I stretch loads of sprue for just a few small useful lengths. So, for rigging I use a product call EZ Line. Really good stuff.

Colin m..

T

tecdes

The spue will probably look more like the real thing but more probably at 1/48 scale.

Talking to one of the helicopter crew in Jesey a few weeks ago & mentioned the rigging I had been producing. He told me the that the rigging was made of metal bars about 25mm * 12mm. But they were aero dynamically shaped going to more or less a point on ends.

Do not relish your task John at 1/72. Difficult enough at 1/48 where it received from me a re.invention of the name for rigging.

Laurie

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

freezing the stretched sprue on ice strengthens it if performed straight after

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I tried using thread but it sags. I only use 5 cm 1 inch portions of stretched sprue. I found Airfix sprue ends up better than other branded sprues.

T

tecdes

If you use EZ line John it stretches. John stocks a variey of types in the shop. Also knicker elastic thread. Tension is maintained. Good for Aerial rigging.

Laurie

S

Stevekir

\ said:
I tried using thread but it sags. I only use 5 cm 1 inch portions of stretched sprue. I found Airfix sprue ends up better than other branded sprues.
On my 1/72 Spit. I used "Knitting-in Elastic" by Prym for the aerial. (Search for knitting elastic.) I got this from a build report by Phil Flory where he used it on WW1 triplane. It is very fine. Poke a small hole in the wing or whatever, push the end of the knitting elastic in and touch with quick-setting superglue. Pull the elastic to just beyond the next attachment point and cut at the attachment point. Again, push the second end in the hole (that involves stretching it) and glue. The stretchiness, and the pre-stretch, prevents sagging. It worked for me, although rigging of course means more of a fiddle. You can paint the elastic. It will sag until the paint dries but returns to being taught.

Last edited:
T

tecdes

Rather than use paint on the rigging Steve I have found it best to use a Uni Posca or Pilot pen. Used it on the white knitting in elastic. Used a combination of black & dark grey careful to let the white appear a little which gives a multiple effect to try & authenticate a weathered rigging.

Laurie

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Rather than use paint on the rigging Steve I have found it best to use a Uni Posca or Pilot pen. Used it on the white knitting in elastic. Used a combination of black & dark grey careful to let the white appear a little which gives a multiple effect to try & authenticate a weathered rigging.Laurie
Laurie,

Have you have you tried this on EZ line ? I've often wondered if we can colour the stuff without any odd reaction.

Colin M..

T

tecdes

Not tried that Colin. I only have black & mostly use the white knicker elastic. I would not have thought there is much difference both are obviously synthetic. Certainly not had any problems YET with the white elastic.

Forgot to mention there is I think 2 or may be 3 thicknesses of the EZ line. Also both types decrease in thickeness proportionate to the stretch. EZ line seems to have more elasticity.

Laurie

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've used this on EZ line. Just soak a length of line in some of this for a few minutes, then hang it to dry using just a small blob of blutack as a weight to keep it straight. The instructions say you should 'fix' the dye using a hot iron but I didn't bother. I use Silver so the line comes out looking like steel cable but there is a range of colours available. I can't remember what I paid but it wasn't expensive.

Do this BEFORE you fix it to the model and you could save a lot of fiddly painting!

Gern

View attachment 66057

Fabric paint.jpg

T

tecdes

That is a nice idea Dave. Being lazy, & saves the feet looking, what type of shop sells it ?

Laurie

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
That is a nice idea Dave. Being lazy, & saves the feet looking, what type of shop sells it ?Laurie
Here you go Laurie:

DYLON

I suspect I got mine from ebay, but that was before the latest round of postage price increases which would probably now make it expensive.

Gern

S

Stevekir

Ludlow has three (!) stockists of Dylon products, and Shrewsbury also three. Lots in other areas.

C

CDW

Dunhelm, some main supermarkets and most chemists stock it up here.

I've seen it in wilkos and diy stores in England when I've been down.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I was rescued from rigging my 1/72 Swordfish............. My Grandson wanted it to hang up on the ceiling in his bedroom........ and wasn't wanting to wait for Grandad to rig it ........ Result!!!!!

Peter

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Strange, I couldn't find the EZ line in my hobby shop.

T

tecdes

\ said:
I was rescued from rigging my 1/72 Swordfish............. My Grandson wanted it to hang up on the ceiling in his bedroom........ and wasn't wanting to wait for Grandad to rig it ........ Result!!!!!Peter
Out & out cheating Peter. How could you avoid the joy of that most horrible task in model making.

John have you tried railway model making shops. The product seems to stem form them. Telegraph poles etc. John in the Scale Model Shop stocks it. From memory it comes from the USA & not many places stock it.

Laurie