T08A2 / R3000 spider lightweight tank (from GITS)

P

PauliusLiekis

I started working on T08A2 / R3000 spider tank from Ghost In The Shell movie a year ago. For those who haven't seen the movie - I would highly recommend, it's one of the best sci-fi anime movies.

Scale 1:20 (roughly :smiling3: )

One of the biggest problems that I had from the start was non existence of blue prints, or actually anything that would be close to that. That's why scale is approximate :smiling3: So for "blueprints" I ended up with a few things:

• Screenshots from the movie
  • Smaller resin model from ebay, which isn't proper quality :smiling3:
  • Someone made a 3D model, which I managed to aquire. It isn't very accurate, I would say it follows movie almost...
So yeah, none of these were precise. Actually, even frames from the movie sometimes contradict itself. To make matters worse I wanted to make a model which could move, so following sizes and strength of mechanical components had to be taken into consideration as well...

Initial idea was to make the shell from a styrofoam, but during last year I bought a 3D printer, which came very handy when making these complex shapes.

P

PauliusLiekis

This is almost complete frame (except "arms"/weapons) and close to complete electronics:

Motion is controlled by RaspberryPi. Programming in C++, from scratch. It is controlled with PS3 joystick, but there are plan to have some autonomous functionality.

P

Polux

Interesting project Paulius.

I have all the Masamune Shirow comics! :smiling3:

PS: Welcome to the forum.

P

PauliusLiekis

Wow...that's impressive :smiling3: I can only claim that I watched all GITS movies/series and I'm a huge fan :D

P

PauliusLiekis

A little bit from inside the "brain" of the robot:

The robot has full model of itself (in order to do correct simulation) and it's calculating where to make steps in such way that legs do not collide.

P

PauliusLiekis

A little bit from work progress:

Model in 3dsMax:

Model in 3D printing program:

Model in 3D printing program (after slicing):

Printed parts:

Here should be some screenshots of work with sanding paper and acetone, because that's a big part of 3D printing, but about that some other time :smiling3:

Assembly of electronics (2x servos, 1x laser):

Hiding of cables inside the ammunition belt:

Painting of base color and assembly:

Last edited:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Amazing ....... The progress on this is gonna be worth watching.........

Peter

J

John Rixon

I guess we are watching the future for scratch builders, there's gonna be a real surge in cottage-industry after-parts, if I'm not mistaken!

P

PauliusLiekis

Wiring complete!

• 2x Raspberry Pi mirco computers (1st for motion control, 2nd for face tracking)
  • 28x Servos (18 for legs, 4 for body, 6 for weapons)
  • 1x Camera (for face tracking)
  • 3x Servo drivers
  • 2x Lasers (how can you have a robot wittout lazors??!!! :smiling3: )
  • 1x Distance sensor
  • 1x PS3 controller
...and some armor:

View attachment 98810

GITS-Electronics3.jpg

P

PauliusLiekis

A little bit more of progress on the legs:

View attachment 99209

View attachment 99210

3D printing:

View attachment 99211

View attachment 99212

View attachment 99213

View attachment 99214

Polishing (i.e. reducing visibility of 3D printing slices by sand paper and acetone; acetone also gives strength):

View attachment 99215

View attachment 99216

Assembling:

View attachment 99217

View attachment 99218

View attachment 99219

View attachment 99220

View attachment 99221

Puttying (is that a word? :smiling3: ) (hiding marks of 3D printing even further):

View attachment 99222

View attachment 99223

GITS00-3dsMax.jpg

GITS00-3dsMax2.jpg

GITS01-LegS1-3DPrinted.jpg

GITS01-LegS2-3DPrinted.jpg

GITS02-LegS3-3DPrinted.jpg

GITS01-LegS3-3DPrinted-Toes.jpg

GITS02-LegS2-Polished.jpg

GITS03-LegS3-Polished.jpg

GITS02-LegS1-Assembled.jpg

GITS03-LegS2-Assembled.jpg

GITS04-LegS2-Assembled2.jpg

GITS04-LegS3-AssembledSuspension.jpg

GITS05-LegS3-Assembled.jpg

GITS03-LegS1-Putty.jpg

GITS06-LegS3-Putty.jpg

P

PauliusLiekis

Painting:

View attachment 99224

View attachment 99225

View attachment 99226

View attachment 99227

View attachment 99228

View attachment 99229

View attachment 99230

View attachment 99231

Result:

View attachment 99232

"Suspension" of toes:

View attachment 99233

I hope to finish main body and the I'll be able to attach the legs. I hope that everything will work once cables are connected (fingers crossed :smiling3: ) Otherwise I'll have to disassemble (read: break) and redo some parts :smiling3: ) The original plan was to have ability to disassemble, but that was too complicated, so I skipped that part :smiling3:

GITS04-LegS1-Painted.jpg

GITS05-LegS2-Painted1.jpg

GITS05-LegS2-Painted2.jpg

GITS05-LegS2-Painted3.jpg

GITS05-LegS2-Painted4.jpg

GITS07-LegS3-Painted.jpg

GITS08-LegS3-PaintedToes.jpg

GITS09-LegS3-Final.jpg

GITS10-Leg.jpg

GITS10-LegS3-Suspension.jpg

J

John Rixon

I suspect we are witnessing the future! what's so exciting about this is that there will be the possibility of making kits of really obscure subjects - 1/48 Avro Anson, anybody? Or a really well detailed Dalek? I'll get me coat...

P

PauliusLiekis

Thanks!

Yeah, as long as you can find a 3D model online (or make one yourself) - you can 3D print it. What I like about digital models is that once someone makes free model available online it kinda stays that way forever, so you have more and more models available for free:smiling3: 3D printing is becoming more affordable too.

Although I hope to see more availability of other production methods: I would choose to CNC from polystyrene next time for a moving model, because 3D printed model is way to heavy. Unless technology of magnets, motors or hydraulics makes a big leap...