Tag Picture Quiz

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Hey.I found it .
it's at Hellbrunn Palace and powered by water- not sure quite how but I'm still looking.
i googled Salzburg and some of the buildings looked similar and suddenly there it was.
Jon.
Edit: the diorama is 20 feet across and powered by piped running water.
Well done Jon, I missed your post!
Yes, it's Hellbrunn, and water-powered. It wasn't 20 feet across when I saw it though!

Over to you Jon.

Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Pete
Jon’s got it....I think you missed his post....

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Built in 1750 according to the same source that said it's 20 foot across.

Who is supposed to have worn this uniform? Photo is a reproduction of the uniform though there is debate whether it actually existed
Screenshot_2018-09-16-22-20-46.png

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Not Wellington and not British.
It's the colour of the coat that is particularly unusual.
Jon.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
General De Lannes, Swiss regiment in French service, or Napoleon at Marengo, I’ve now seen this described as both....but have now lost the links :flushed: However, as I can’t find a picture of Napoleon with a fore and aft hat, and that this doesn’t really look like the red uniform in the painting of him distributing honour swords, I’m going De Lannes. Not that unusual really, the Swiss in French service had red coats....

Last edited:

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I'm with Tim, Colonel General Lannes... although I've just found the same picture that says it was King George the VI's Admiral of the Fleet uniform 1937... but you said it not British... weird!? :upside::confounded:

Lee

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Its clearly French since the decorations are the Couronne de Fer (Italian campaign) and the Legion d'honneur. I go with Lannes.

John

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
You're all right.
It's a replica of the uniform supposedly worn by Jean Lannes, Marshal of France,in his role of Colonel-General des Suisses, an honorary rather than military rank. It's been described by witnesses and there's a print by Bucquoy of Lannes wearing this but no documentary evidence that it ever existed. Very similar in cut and decoration to the coat of Marshal de France but red,presumably to show the Swiss connection.
Screenshot_2018-09-17-15-38-24.png
I think that goes to Tim.
Jon.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Jon
Another Napoleonic one then,
3C49FB96-006F-40F6-860F-474A67B45F5D.jpeg
Which regiment is fighting which regiment, and at which battle?

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
That's them and those and it's over there??? :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

Lee

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Historical games tend to be without orcs :smiling3: It’s just that the painting you posted reminds me of nothing so much as typical Warhammer box/cover art, that often shows two huge armies clashing in exactly the same way as was apparently popular in 19th century battlefield paintings.

All that said, I have no idea which battle the painting is of, let alone the regiments involved. Outside my area of interest, I’m afraid, and so a bit difficult to research as well.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Jakko, it is a nineteenth century battlefield painting LOL.
I hear you regarding the period though, I struggle badly with anything after 1945 and before about 1800....and with most of the things in between....

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Those are Saxon cuirassiers who took part in the massive battle of Borodino.The Russians look like dragoons but I'll get back to you.
Jon.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
I thought the Russians were one of the Household regiments but I think they are cuirassiers too.The Saxon cuirassiers were issued the cuirass but not worn at Borodino.
The facing colour of the Russian cavalry would be Astrahan's Cuirassiers?
Jon.