Tag Picture Quiz

First Name
Rick
I am Pete.
Sgt. Charles "Wagger" Thornton.Ox and Bucks LI.
used the only PIAT available to destroy the first vehicle of a column of three,causing the remaining two to withdraw. Lots of theories as to what they were but I go with Tim's idea of 21st Panzer using French tanks,used as training tanks,
Jon.
In Antony Beevor’s book, D-Day, this story has the vehicle as being a half track, however Stephen Ambrose’s book, Pegasus Bridge, claims the vehicle is a MkIV. Perhaps a source of confusion could be Thornton’s later response when asked what was going on by Colonel Pine-Coffin, “It’s only that bloody old tank going off...”, these are Sgt Thornton’s own words so I would be more inclined to accept his version.

Jakko

SMF Poster
First Name
Jakko
In Antony Beevor’s book, D-Day, this story has the vehicle as being a half track, however Stephen Ambrose’s book, Pegasus Bridge, claims the vehicle is a MkIV.
That’s pretty much what I’d also found, but no mentions of Renaults so I discarded this info.

Shirley that name is made-up.

First Name
Jon
That’s pretty much what I’d also found, but no mentions of Renaults so I discarded this info.

Two sources quote soldiers who were there describing them as French tanks.Wagger himself says Panzer IV.Other people suggest 251,Marder,Lorraine mounted SP guns.
no photos any where.
and don't call him Shirley.
J on.

First Name
Tim
Shirley’s men apparently called him wooden overcoat.....as to Wagger, don’t know if the 21st Panzer had mark IVs, and the mad Austrian hadn’t let the tanks move anyway, so recon unit 251 (or more likely a French half track) or French armoured car would be my guess.....

First Name
Tim
Hi lads and lasses, I’m at work so cannot post anything. Can someone else dive in and I’ll post mine this evening.....might mean we have two on the go, but I’m sure we can handle it.....
Cheers
Tim

Pete Low

Old Puffer Pete
First Name
Pete
Hi TIm and Jakko some info more if want on my ww1 Sopwith F.1 Camel biuid.

The Clerget 9B was a nine-cylinder rotary aircraft engine of the World War I era designed by Pierre Clerget.
Type: Nine-cylinder air-cooled rotary engine
Bore: 120 mm (4.72 in)
Stroke: 9B: 160 mm (6.30 in)
Displacement: 9B: 16.29 l (994.08 cu in)
Length: 920 mm (36.22 in)
Diameter: 9B: 1,020 mm (40.15 in)
Dry weight: 173 kg (381 lb)

Pete.