Tag Picture Quiz

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
So we’re looking for a sixties armoured vehicle series
Round about that time, anyway. Off the top of my head the TM is from the 60s, but it could be late 50s (I don’t feel like checking :smiling3:).

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Cadillac Gage

Lee

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
BTR-60 series? The maintenance guys don’t look Russian though....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Panhard scout car?
No.

Punting randomly....Bravia Chaimite family?
Not that either.

BTR-60 series? The maintenance guys don’t look Russian though....
They’re highly unlikely to be :smiling3: So no, not a BTR-60. Which, by the way, had two engines and a more sensible engine deck to get them out through.

BTW, I just checked, and the manual is dated 28 November 1961. It’s not in English but is in a West-European language.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
DAF YP- 408

Lee

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
West German Hotchkiss (spelling?) series of tracked armored vehicles. PaulE

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
It’s the Motor Scout, developed by Frederick Richard Simms in 1899, most likely the world’s first armed vehicle powered by an internal combustion engine.

(I recognised it immediately, but had to look up the name, which entailed removing about 10 cm worth of books and an almost as thick layer of dust to get at my copy of The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Military Vehicles by Ian V. Hogg and John Weeks, 1980, which I was 100% sure had that same photo of it — on pages 6–7, to be precise, where it’s captioned as the “Quadricycle Maxim Gun Carrier” being demonstrated at Roehampton in 1898.)
That would be quite a scratbuild!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
AMX 13.
Possibly.
Not just possibly, we finally found the right one :smiling3:

The photo is from MAT. 3429 Manuel de Réparation des Transport de Troupe Blindé Chenillé TT CH M 56 (12h.) et Transport de Matériel Blindé Chenillé TT CH M56 (3t) — that is to say, the repair handbook for the AMX VTT (also known as the AMX VCI) and its cargo variant, whose common name I can’t find at the moment.

photo_fr_amx-vci_2.jpg

(And I have photos of a Dutch variant here.)

But because the engine deck is common to most AMX-13 variants, that’s an acceptable answer as well.

It also shows one of the problems with the series: poor maintainability. There’s a YouTube video in which an Englishman who restored an AMX-13 talks about how hard it is to get the engine out, because most of the auxiliary bits have to be removed for it to fit through the opening the men in the photo are lifting it out of. My father, who was a fitter in the Dutch army in the late ’60s, also doesn’t have overly fond memories of working on AMX’es because apparently there were all kinds tin covers and ducts in the way that needed to be removed (and were held in place by relatively small screws) in that cramped engine compartment before anything in need of repairs could be accessed.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Wow.Thanks Jakko.
Officers parading in the snow.From which regiment?
For extra brownie points: which two regiments were amalgamated to form this one and in which year?mid_000000.jpg

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
You can have that Rick although these chaps are the genuine article.
They are officers of the Seaforth Highlanders (of Scotland). Regiment came about from the amalgamation of the 72nd and 78th foot under the Childers reform in 1881 and first saw action at Tel El Kebir the following year. Merged with the Cameron Highlanders in 1961 to form the Queen's Own Highlanders.
Jon.