Tag Picture Quiz

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
It says there that you're in Farnborough so I'll say you took this photo at the air-show.
Jon.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That it’s a helicopter is apparent from the controls; it must be one with a glass nose in front of and below the cockpit’s main deck, else there wouldn’t be a doorway under the dashboard. That limits it, I think, to one of the heavy-lift Mils, and I arrive at the Mi-6 by eliminating most of the others it could be, and because it closely matches other photos of Mi-6 cockpits.

However, since the question appears to be about a specific aircraft it’s probably a one-off or one that only a single example still remains of, but I don’t have a clue what it might be, other than “very probably an Mi-6”.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Using previous answers, Westland Whirlwind, using “demobbed”, RAF Akrotiri, Cyprus?
Cheers
Tim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Working it a bit more, looks like it has no nose (so smells terrible as the joke goes) and no glass, so is it the one at SAn Salvador in the Falklands?
Cheers
Tim

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That it’s a helicopter is apparent from the controls; it must be one with a glass nose in front of and below the cockpit’s main deck, else there wouldn’t be a doorway under the dashboard. That limits it, I think, to one of the heavy-lift Mils, and I arrive at the Mi-6 by eliminating most of the others it could be, and because it closely matches other photos of Mi-6 cockpits.

However, since the question appears to be about a specific aircraft it’s probably a one-off or one that only a single example still remains of, but I don’t have a clue what it might be, other than “very probably an Mi-6”.

Correct. It’s the example preserved at the Latvian Aircraft Museum at Riga International Airport.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That last part I never would have been able to determine, seeing as how I have no idea what the place looks like, and your photo showed little outside the aircraft but grass and the bottom ends of random bits of equipment :smiling3:

Let’s see what I can post next that hopefully puts people on the wrong foot as much as this one did. How about this one:

DSCF5784.jpg

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
That's a teaser. I thought it might be the drivers position in a LVTP7 or something like that.The roof plate looks very thick and I don't know what the lever from the roof could be.Is it amphibious?
Jon.

C

Crazy Pat

is it the inside of a leopard main battle tank?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s not an LVTP-7, a Leopard, or a Strv 103. It is amphibious, though.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Amphib., left hand drive, tracked, rear transmission, high position drvr/co-drvr, not US, post war, no clue. PaulE

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Would this additional view help?

DSCF5785.jpg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Ok, we have the seat, instrument panel, vision blocks and steering joy sticks from an M-113A1 or A2...Let's go with a LVTP5 as a shot in the dark…..

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That shot in the dark was about as good as the film of that name :smiling3: IOW: try again and it might be a hit. I might also add that it’s far too cramped inside to be an LVTP-5 or derivative vehicle.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Still nothing? How about another clue, then:

DSCF5755.jpg