Tag Picture Quiz

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It fires a Russian calibre of ammunition, but it’s not a Serbu.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nah,, it’s the snipers rifle from “day of the jackal” I can see where it used to be a crutch LOL

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well done Jon. Yes it's a mid C19th conical turban worn by a Sikh warlord in order to carry a set of chakrams, sharpened throwing discs.
Peter .
I thought it might be Simon T's spell weaving hat .
Ok I will get my coat .:upside:
What a great thread this is, leaning so many factoids . Oh for a dinner party!
John

Marty

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Jon...was just downloading this pic when u posted...think u are right...ser portative 14.5mm...5.jpgMarty

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
I only thought it might be a Şer whereas Marty knew it was.
Marty? Your go.
Jon.

Marty

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Cheers Jon..ur a gentleman...i'll have a look at my files before i go to bed and hopefully get something interesting!!!!......also apologies are due especially to Allen for kindly nominating me a while ago for my rather wildly off the mark guess at his trailer pic:flushed::flushed:...i was off in the wilds of co Wicklow for a while and hadnt checked into the site...certainly hadnt expected to 'win' with that particular gem...be back shortly...Marty

Marty

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Ok folks....study the pic carefully.......vehicle_panzeriii7.jpg
Now......how many fruilmodel sets.:anguished:.......only kidding:smiling:......check out the photo below and identify the vehicle in the background....extra points if u can get the location and the operation underway...good luck....Marty
Picture1.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lorraine sclepper Marder 1? Arnhem, Market Garden?

Marty

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Sorry lads..incorrect...Tim...very similar front profile and Rick..it is eastern front but not Poland....there is a very cryptic clue to the name of the operation in the pic:confused:....Marty

D

Deleted member 6559

That's the SS Maria Theresa in Budapest - Marder I in the background?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s not a Marder I, those were mainly built on Lorraine 37L, Hotchkiss H39 and FCM 36 chassis, all of which had tracks with a much greater pitch than the Carden-Lloyd-style tracks on the vehicle pictured here. The shape of the gun shield is also wrong, and it looks far too elaborate for what amounts to an improvisation like the Marder I. The gun appears to have a slim barrel with a conical flash hider, like a 40 mm Bofors, and mounted very low in the turret.

Conclusion: a 40M Nimród anti-aircraft vehicle:

Nimrod_tank_WW2.jpg
(Picture: Wikipedia.)

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Operation Panzerfaust 15th October 1944. Led by Skorzeny to remove the Hungarian regent who was negotiating a surrender with the Russians.Court yard of Buda castle.
Jon.

Marty

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Well...there was a bit of jostling at the finish line....Peter u were spot on with the Division involved and the location... i think u set off a blur of typing amongst the others:thumb2: well reasoned id from Jakko in getting the vehicle and Jon for the operation (told u there was a clue...soldier on left carrying a panzerfaust:rolling:) and congrats to Rick for getting the precise details of the photo....hopefully there wont be a stewards enquiry but i think Jakko took it by a nose as the origional question was to id the vehicle which is indeed a Hungarian built Nimrod 40m based on a Swedish Landsverk design
This vehicle in the photo is likely one of three assigned to the defense of Buda Castle in autumn of 1944...on the way to Budapest it apparently slipped into a ditch while trying to avoid a cow in the road :smiling5: and suffered an engine fire causing it to be towed to the castle and set up as a static defense in the courtyard at the barracks..where it was pictured above ....it somehow survived the siege of Budapest and the subsequent Russian occupation (there seemingly was even an attempt to get it started during the 1956 uprising!!) and it was eventually taken under storage and restored to full working order by the Military Institute in Budapest and is shown below back in the courtyard at a recent event
nimrod.jpg

Here endeth the lesson...over to you Jakko....cheers Marty
Oh by way.....no takers on the fruil tracks question?.?:smiling: