Tag Picture Quiz

Marty

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Is it the xm45e1...support vehicle for mechanized flamethrowers during Vietnam war...storage/mixing tanks for extra fuel and compressed air etc.......had been looking at flamethrower variants of the m113 but didnt even consider how they might be refilled in the field?.? Marty

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Finally! Here it is from the front left:

xm45e1_USArmy.jpg

And in use in Vietnam:

M132 and XM45.jpeg

The lower photo is from the excellent Vietnam Tracks by Simon Dunstan, the book I mentioned earlier, and which I understand was hard to get for a long time until it was reprinted some years ago. If you have an interest in armour in Vietnam, and don’t own this book … why not?

The vehicle is basically an M548 with armour around the cab and inside the load bed, plus the fuel mixing and pumping equipment in it.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Well that was a tough one!

Looks like Marty's shout

Lee

Marty

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Needed abit of time to clear the brain after that one!!.....here's a slightly obscure vehicle in a bit of a sorry state:sad:....name and country of origin ....i have a couple of extra pics as i'm not sure how this one will go......
20180710_224044.jpg
Good luck chaps....Marty

Marty

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
sorry Paul...u were sooooo close...the BDX is the Belgian version built under license from Timoney who are based in Ireland and I think u may have provided a nice lead for Tim ---spot on...this one is currently awaiting restoration at the National Transport Museum in Howth and thanks to this thread I have now added this to my places to visit in the near future!!!!!seem to have a nice collection including several scammels and a Leyland retriever! cheers Marty

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yes, sorry Paul, wouldn’t have got it without your input.....I hadn’t heard of it, so just checked it out from your answer out of curiosity, and then found an almost identical picture.....it will be an hour or two before I can post, I’m cleaning the conservatory before it gets too hot!!!
Cheers
Tim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Yes, sorry Paul, wouldn’t have got it without your input.....I hadn’t heard of it
Damn, there went my chance for posting another difficult one :smiling3: My first thought was: “Irish” from where it wouldn’t have been difficult to find out what it was called again, but then I read your reply and saw there was no need to look it up.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
OK, new one for me, and very modern for me as well....might be easy, I don’t honestly know....
What is this?
960FCAB8-5D7A-48E2-8B01-FC4E1CD932BB.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Spot on Lee, not even thirty minutes...grrrr....
Your go then.
Cheers
Tim

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Spot on Lee, not even thirty minutes...grrrr....
Your go then.
Cheers
Tim

Sorry to ruin it for you Tim :smiling5:

I recognised the idler wheel! BANG!!! Time to narrow it down

Best I find something quick to put up

Lee

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Ok, let's see what we can do...

20180630_122647.jpg

More to follow if you get stuck...

Lee

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Very obviously the front deck of an Strv-103. The tubular thing is the gun barrel, the commander’s cupola is at the extreme right of the photo at the top, the driver’s periscope is below it. Going by the stuff in the background, the tank is pretty much at maximum elevation.

Last edited:

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very obviously the front deck of an Strv-103. The tubular thing is the gun barrel, the commander’s cupola is at the extreme right of the photo at the top, the driver’s periscope is below it. Going by the stuff in the background, the tank is pretty much at maximum elevation.

Nice Jakko well done... do you have access to my pictures!?:thinking:
Over to you my friend

Lee

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just realised that’s at Bovvy isn’t it...at the end of the tank production line....