Tag Picture Quiz

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
D

Deleted member 6559

Marty gets there first. Its a Carthaginian pikeman of the 1st - 2nd Punic Wars.

Marty

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Cheers Peter...should have got that sooner...always forget about Carthage as a powerful state at that time.....Jon..think the crescent is connected to the goddess of Carthage, Tanit???.....anyway I'll take my customary jump forward again and ask the type of weapon the guy in the middle is holding???
Quiz.jpg

Had to do a search myself to find out what it was so i hope i've got it right!!:thinking:....Marty

D

Deleted member 6559

It's something to do do with Tanit, the moon being a symbol for many female goddesses throughout the near east, from where it was transplanted by the Phoenicians, who founded Carthage. It appears on a number of Carthaginian stele in different 'good/bad' positions - our man obviously wears the symbol in a 'good' position.

As for the above - Romanian Orita m1941?

OK I'm off. In the unlikely event than I'm right, could someone else take my turn?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I'll take my customary jump forward again and ask the type of weapon the guy in the middle is holding???
View attachment 308266
Well, the helmets appear to be Dutch but the men’s faces aren’t, so they’re probably Romanian like Peter suggested (since they used the same model of helmet as the Dutch army did) and the weapon indeed appears to be a Model 1941 Orita, which is fairly distinctive because of its long barrel with the sight at the very end of it. The gun is a first-model, by the looks of the full wooden stock.

Marty

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Wel done Paul...1941 model automatic spud gun...same company that made the anti aircraft spud canon....:smiling:...not very effective as the shrapnel was delicious when deep fried!!!
potato_gun.jpg
Nah....it was really Peter again!!...not enough camo on the helmets to fool u guys and nice link from Jakko....this pic shows the weapon more clearly....has a look of an mp44 with a wooden stock???
332b519c9effb50a8e20ae4f1824e8b3--romania-world-war.jpgok Peter...back into the time machine again??:smiling3:Marty

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nah....it was really Peter again!!...not enough camo on the helmets to fool u guys
It probably helped that I’ve handled the Dutch army helmet (maybe I should get one for my helmet collection someday), and know that the Romanians used the same pattern into the 1980s or so.

nice link from Jakko....
Forgotten Weapons is really good for interesting firearms that aren’t well-known, the YouTube channel especially if you want to see how they come apart and actually work.

has a look of an mp44 with a wooden stock???
Not really, if you ask me. More like an air rifle with a very big magazine :smiling3: (My first thought for your question was, “A Diana Model 22” but then I looked more closely.)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Right, since Peter asked for someone else to take his turn, and I’m here now, let’s try another one:

DSCF0039.jpg

What is this, where would you find one, etc.?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The first part is right, the second isn’t.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Going on to the top deck of a sun dodgers home, it's a submarine bridge

Lee

Marty

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Is it Norway??...by the way Jakko...meant mp 40..not mp44:rolling: on the last one...but i have to agree...my first thought was "whats that bloke doing with an air rifle?.?"...Marty

orita-1949_left.jpg
1200px-MP_40_AYF_3.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Going on to the top deck of a sun dodgers home, it's a submarine bridge
Many concrete walls in the last submarine you were in, were there? :smiling3: However, in some ways it is much like a submarine bridge.

If not Maginot then Eben Emael.
I’ll go Palmerston fort
You’re both trying to be too specific. (To put that into perspective: If I posted a picture of a Sherman you probably wouldn’t answer “Is it Thunderbolt IV?” but “Is it an M4A3?”)

meant mp 40..not mp44:rolling:
Oh, you mean an MP 41? :smiling3:

(OT: that apparently sold for US$48,875! WTF?!)

Marty

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Actually i did mean mp40 as id never heard of the mp41.:thinking:..but on looking into it it, it seems it was exported to Romania..so that probably explains the similarity...is the photo inside a flak tower?.? Marty

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
What I meant was: an MP 40 with wooden stock is an MP 41 (well, not quite — see the video — but that’s what it looks like). And no, it’s not in a flak tower but you have the nationality right.