Tag Picture Quiz

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Pretty much spot on Jon, except it wasn’t Mary that competed against Buster and Johnny Weissmuller, it was her dad Johnny Ukulele.
Mary was born Mary Ka’aihue. Her father was Johnny Ka’aihue, related to Hawaiian royalty, otherwise known as Johnny Ukulele. He was a gifted swimmer as well as a gifted musician, so When he wasn’t playing he competed against the Olympic gold medalists Buster Crabbe and Johnny Weissmuller. They, of course, played Flash Gordon and Tarzan in the thirties.
The Mary Kaye Stratocaster was the first custom guitar, by the way, and she never owned it, only used it for a photo shoot.

Jon, that’s Rory Gallagher strat. Saw him play it at Poole arts center back in the early eighties.....was that your next question, not hard enough mate LOL
Cheers
Tim

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Eddie, all Mary Kay’s are the same. They are a semi transparent colour known as “white blonde” which appears as a sort of grey colour...and they have a maple neck and fingerboard and gold hardware....I have seen pictures of Kieth playing one, and Joe Bonamassa plays one as well...amongst many others.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Well,Rory's guitar couldn't get rid of the smug look on Tim's face so......
Who might have tried these on and why?
Jon.
images (8).jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Muhammad Ali?
I’m on my phone so the photo isn’t clear, but they look a bit like boxers boots...

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Morning Tim.
I couldn't enlarge the photo but when you get a better look at it I think you'll have a good idea of what they are.
Jon.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
P.S. 30 years of hammer that guitar took including being stolen and found in a ditch.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
they look a bit like boxers boots...
They’re almost certainly American Vietnam-era jungle boots, the later pattern with ankle reinforcements but the early soles with wide “bands” instead of the later car tyre-like tread. That is to say, this model:

p_196393_1297658.jpg
(source that’s stolen my parka for its background image :smiling3:)

And Muhammad Ali would therefore also be my guess, as I can’t really think of many others offhand. Unless of course Jon refers to Jimi Hendrix, who might have ended up in Vietnam if he hadn’t been invalided out of the US Army.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice answer Jakko, sounds logical to me....unless it’s Elvis....I was thrown by the sole, I thought the foot was part of the boot....
Returning to Rory’s strat, is that the real one or a custom shop copy? The custom shop stuff is scarily accurate....Rory Gallagher, shirts by Millets, talent by God, tanks a million.....

First Name
colin
Are they the boots trialled by seal teams in Vietnam supposedly to hide the treads by imitating vc footprints

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
...so the foot is part of the boot.....great answer.....

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Of course they are Colin. MACV-SOG trialled these boots with the moulded bare foot on the sole for use with special forces, in particular the LRRPs, but I'd guess the Seals and others had input too.Otherwise they are the standard issue jungle boot. Obviously the intention was to mask any traces by leaving only a bare foot-print as a local Vietnamese or Montagnard might.
The official conclusion was more or less that it looked like a print left by someone wearing boots with a foot shape on.
your turn Colin.
Tim- that's a genuine photo of Rory's '61 strat which is now,I think, hanging on a wall in Cork.

First Name
colin
Jon I'm at work at the minute if someone has a picture ready feel free to post it

First Name
colin
Ok guys what's this beasty used for

Attachments

• quizpic01.jpg
    quizpic01.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 17

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
tank used to extinguish fires... like oil rig fires..