Tag Picture Quiz

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It is indeed the Fairey Battle, I must have showed too much of it
For some, yes. Me, I was trying to work out what British aircraft this could be, and wouldn’t have guessed the location at all :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Okay, it seems to be Rick’s turn, but he’s passed and nobody else seems to step in … The subject of this photo is probably easy enough:

pic.jpg

So no points for that. Rather, I’ll ask: what’s the significance of the photo?

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
It looks like a covert photo of a V 2 rocket and trailer. What's the significance though.Was it the first photographic evidence to come out of Europe?
Jon.

D

Deleted member 6559

Is it one of the photographs taken by Jos de Ligney, 17 year old Dutch girl?

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Definitely the V2 on a trailer.
Jon you could be right with the fact that it's the first pic out of Europe but could it be that it's also the world's first ballistic missile, the forerunner to the ICBM?

Lee

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It looks like a covert photo of a V 2 rocket and trailer. What's the significance though.Was it the first photographic evidence to come out of Europe?
Is it one of the photographs taken by Jos de Ligney, 17 year old Dutch girl?
You’re both right. In mid-September 1944, some of the first V2s fired at England were launched from a field near Serooskerke in the Netherlands (I kept it local again :smiling3:) and at one point, the driver of a vehicle towing a missile trailer apparently made a wrong turn, ending up in the village in front of the De Ligny smithy. His daughter quickly took a few pictures of it, which were smuggled to Britain by the Resistance, where they apparently provided intelligence agencies with their first ground-level look at the weapon.

I’d say Jon got there first, mainly because Peter omitted to mention the intelligence aspect of the picture — otherwise I’d gave given it to him for including the photographer’s name.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
could it be that it's also the world's first ballistic missile, the forerunner to the ICBM?
It was, but I was asking for the significance of the photo, not of the thing portrayed in it. Sorry :smiling3:

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
That was quick thinking and a great coup by Jos.
Thank you Jakko,I'd have given it to Peter but there you go.
Who's this great man? The unofficial name of his ad hoc facility and his proud boast?
2604204.jpg

D

Deleted member 6559

Surgeon Captain Rick Jolly RN. Decorated by both the UK and Argentine governments for work in the Falklands. The Red and Green Life Machine was the name of his facility.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
It's Rick Jolly. He was still a Surgeon-Commander at the time of the Falklands war and set up his Red and Green Life Machine.Everyone who came into the shed alive left it alive.
He worked on principles of healing by secondary intention ie cutting out all dead,damaged or infected tissue and letting the body take care of the rest.Definitive repair and closure of wounds would take place later- mainly on the hospital ships.
I had a few lectures from Rick at medical school about his battlefield medicine experience and he was fascinating. He died last year at only 71.
Take it away Peter.
Jon.

D

Deleted member 6559

Well done everyone. It's the 3rd Foot and Mouth from 'Carry On Up the Khyber.' This group of re-enactors formed to celebrate that fictitious regiment, but now also do more historical work.

Perhaps their greatest member (Oooh, Matron!):

portrait-hawtrey.jpg

Dear old Charles Hawtrey is still fondly remembered in Deal where he lived in his last years. Permanently sozzled and rude to a fault.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Wahaay....Private Widdle himself......from my absolute favourite Carry On film...the scene inside the residence during the final battle is probably uncomfortably close to reality.....just out of interest, where was the photo taken?

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim

I think the photos were taken somewhere in North Wales - there's one of them standing next to a 'Dim Parcio' sign. The Llanberis Pass stood in for the Khyber in the film (as it did for China in ''Inn of the Sixth Happiness'), so it may be around there.

Over to Rick.....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sorry mate, I think we’re at cross purposes...where was the re-enactment picture taken? I just wondered about the rail tracks and police box.....