SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Ok, I’ll throw in a wild guess, some form of hovercraft?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I've no idea but is this an IDF vehicle?
Right region, more or less.

I'm guessing a platform of some sort on rails...no idea really!
Nope, sorry :smiling3:

Bridge layer of some sort?
Also not, no.

I'm going to try Iraqi T55 with the enigma armour.
Now you’ve suddenly got it! It’s the one in Bovington:

T-55-Enigma-Jeanne.jpg

(this photo I found online, the other two I took myself)

The first photo is of the underside of the raisable block on the left front of the turret, above the driver’s hatch, which was apparently cut open by the British to see how they’re constructed. The second photo is the inner/underside of the rear turret armour and its supporting frame.

More of my pics here, with more text too, and diagrams of how it all fits together, plus dimensions! (Of course, Tamiya released a plastic kit after I went to all that trouble with the intent of scratchbuilding the armour — but never got round to it.)

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
I'm pleased with that one!
Here's another connection.
who is connected with probably this.
Screenshot_2018-10-10-17-40-34.png
With this.
Screenshot_2018-10-10-18-35-36.png

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Adolf Hitler.

Wait, bear with me…
  1. If Germany hadn’t invaded France on Hitler’s orders, the British would never have needed to develop the PIAT (which is shown in your second picture).
  2. If Germany hadn’t committed the Holocaust, Israel might never have been founded.
  3. If the British hadn’t developed the PIAT and Israel had never been founded, this Char léger Modèle 1935 R (commonly known as the “Renault R35” and shown in your first picture):
    800px-Deganiatank1.jpg

… would never have been exported by France to Syria and used to fight the Israelis, who knocked it out using a PIAT.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Oh, Normandy. My real thougths were along the line of: first use of a PIAT to knock out an enemy tank might have been one of these in Sicily. But I couldnn’t find confirmation either way on a quick look, so I went for a less serious answer.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Right then, let’s try again … was it somebody or other who used a PIAT to shoot one of these tanks on 6 June 1944? I haven’t got a clue who, because I’m not generally up to speed on what individual people do (then or now) and I can’t find anything online that talks about both PIATs and Renault light tanks together from which to try and find someone who Jon might be referring to.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Pegasus bridge? PIAT used to destroy a tank of 21st Panzer, which was counterattacking equipped with French tanks?

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Hi Jakko.
someone used a PIAT to destroy an armoured vehicle in the early hours of 6th June.Vehicle has not been definitely confirmed as an R35 but seems the best guess. Some have suggested it was a Panzer IV or a half-track. First armoured probe on D-day.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If it is Pegasus, most accounts say it was a half track. Panzers were at the beck and call of the Charlie Chaplin lookalike so only armoured support weapons would have been able to move....Wiki says it was a PzIV, but not much else agrees....l

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
CSM Stan Hollis used a PIAT on D-Day, but that was against a German Field gun according to the Gazette.

Pete

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
This is a couple of hundred yards west of Pegasus bridge. Bénouville/le Port.The number two to the name I'm after later identified the vehicle as "a French tank".

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
I am Pete.
Sgt. Charles "Wagger" Thornton.Ox and Bucks LI.
used the only PIAT available to destroy the first vehicle of a column of three,causing the remaining two to withdraw. Lots of theories as to what they were but I go with Tim's idea of 21st Panzer using French tanks,used as training tanks,
Jon.