Tag Picture Quiz

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
From W O Bentley's autobiography "Cracks were made - which bothered me at the time - that the BR1 was only an imitation Clerget. These originated from people who glanced only at the cam mechanism, which of course was the first thing they saw and, for ease of production, was the only similar feature... In fact the crank-case, crankshaft, method of securing the cylinders themselves as well as their heads, were all fundamentally different from the Clerget.". WOB was working for the Admiralty during WW1, and was attached to Gwynnes, who built the Clerget engine under licence for Sopwith and Nieuport, to try to improve the reliability of the Clerget, which was averaging about 15 hours at that time.
There's more detail in WOB's excellent autobiography "My Life and My Cars".

Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Hi Jakko, Looking at it last night I thought the Clerget (used in the Camel?) had twice as many pushrods?
I found a photo of the 9B and noticed the pushrods looked very similar to what was in Pete’s photo, down to the staggered way they come out of the crankcase (the one on the left is further forward than that on the right), so I thought that was what was in his photo.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi jakko
That’s what happens when I post by phone, can’t see the pictures clearly enough.....what I took to be pushrods appear to be cylinder supports.....and my post should also say the BR2 had twice as many as the Clerget.....not the other way around :tired:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sorry Lee, wrong cruiser....not the Emden....thought I’d go down the road less travelled :thumb2:
Air pollution Allen....LOL.
Yes Peter, it’s the Konigsberg.....completed 1906 and one of a class of four.....far less successful than the Emden, finally scuttled July 1915. However her guns and other useful equipment were salvaged and used in the East African campaign....
Over to you then....

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Getting difficult to find pics that meet the rules now... OK, what and where is this?
Tokyo Crossness Guildhall 037.jpg

Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks like a beam pumping engine, I’ll go with Crossness cos it’s newly restored....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Pete.....I think this will be easy, but let’s see.....
What’s this?
40439D7D-A65B-4D84-9C3D-B4280077CA44.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep, when I was a nipper I used to have a part time job returning trolleys from the car park to Tesco’s, and a green one used to park there every Saturday... I thought it looked fabulous....
You again then.....

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
OK, what are these chaps making?
P7130029.JPG
I won't be able to respond until tomorrow (Saturday) sometime.

Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Front passenger cabin panel from a Morgan 4 + 4? The guys hand is where a front door hinge would be, engine about where the shaper is?

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Certainly could be a Morgan. I remember replacing the wood floorboard in one years ago. Your coachwork guys' skills always blow me away.