Tamiya 1/12 Toyota Castrol Tom's Supra

F

Fenlander

Finaly finished this one. Totally OOB other than the tiny photo etch bonnet pins. Fiddly little buggers but better than trying to paint the mounded on versions.

Not a build thread as you don't go through a 'build' with these. It is more spray a bit, glue it to the last bit you sprayed, clean the airbrush, spray the next bit etc, etc, etc.....

Body shell primed with Stynylrez and painted with Tamiya gloss white.

DSC_0134.JPG

After decals, around a hundred in total, I glossed it with 2K Gloss Coat. Never used this before and I was dreading it going wrong over those decals as there was no way back....

DSC_0143.JPG

The engine is only the lower half as there is no opening bonnet

DSC_0135.JPG

But it looks the part and completes a nicely detailed underside

Toyota build-9.JPG

Being a track car, the inside is minimal but nicely done. Plenty of scope for super detailing if you know what you are doing. I don't so I left it as it is.

Toyota build-8.JPG

Then eventually you get to the point where you stick the body and the chassis together and there you have it, a car.

The decals are obviously a big part to this kit and they behaved themselves very well. Even each wheel has six decals on them.

I used, for the first time, a two part, well three actually, clear coat which is really a spray plastic and can be quite hazardous to use. Sadly, a white body does not show the gloss in the pictures but trust me, it is glossy and as smooth as glass.

So here it it completed.

Castrol Toyota Finished-9.jpg

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Awesome build, one of my favourite ever models was the 1/24 (?) lancia delta rally car, might have to try and fine a kit of it somewhere

F

Fenlander

Awesome build, one of my favourite ever models was the 1/24 (?) lancia delta rally car, might have to try and fine a kit of it somewhere

Cheers Steve. Plenty of Lancia Delta die cast models but only able to find the 1/10 RC Tamiya as a kit. Does look good though.

N

noble

You sir have my utmost respect and admiration, I have done two cars and can't seem to get the body paint smooth enough or glossy enough.... never mind all those decals, well done sir.

F

Fenlander

Thanks again guys, great kit with no fit issues and the decals are very well behaved :rolleyes:

A

Aurora

Cheers Steve. Plenty of Lancia Delta die cast models but only able to find the 1/10 RC Tamiya as a kit. Does look good though.
if you are looking for 1/24 lancia delta, i suggest you hasegawa kits. also they are PE included for seatbelts and hood bolts.
i already have this kit; it is superb kit. i will building that kit soon
292792-15462-92.jpg

i also built italeri delta and it is terrible
547-deckel.jpg

F

Fenlander

if you are looking for 1/24 lancia delta, i suggest you hasegawa kits. also they are PE included for seatbelts and hood bolts.
i already have this kit; it is superb kit. i will building that kit soon

Any idea where you could get this from in the U.K.? I cannot find it...

First Name
john
Terrific looking Toyota Graham the 2k top coat which one did you use as I've not yet managed to achieve a showroom high sheen smooth finish like yours. I've been told Tamiya clear give decent results but yet to try it as it's "hot" and maybe burns through decals. Cheers John

D

dubster72

A great result Graham, she looks really good. You've gotta love the Castrol colours, probably the best works team livery IMHO.

F

Fenlander

Terrific looking Toyota Graham the 2k top coat which one did you use as I've not yet managed to achieve a showroom high sheen smooth finish like yours. I've been told Tamiya clear give decent results but yet to try it as it's "hot" and maybe burns through decals. Cheers John

I used the Zero paints one John. It is actually three parts. Clear, Hardener and Thinner. I am a bit concerned about the safety issues around this as you are spraying a plastic in effect which 'gasses off' as it cures so needs careful handling and good extraction plus mask.

It is a 'hot' product and they recommend a light dusting over decals to seal them followed by a slightly heavier coat after a few minutes and then a wet coat which gives the shine. This is the nervy bit as the second coat may be orange peel looking, it is that wet coat that 'melts' the previous coat and gives the great finish.

It may have been beginners luck but, although not perfect, I am really happy with what I ended up with. I have never achieved a finish like this with anything else.