Tamiya 1/12 Yardley McLaren M23 , Mike the bike Hailwood 1974

Richy C

SMF Poster
First Name
Richard
So far I`m at the part built stage of theTamiya 1/12 1974 Yardley McLaren M23 , and doing the ( Legend ) Mike Hailwood version that he raced at the 1974 German GP , most parts dry fitted for the photos , lots of extra details to do , bodywork needs touching up before clear coating ,

as a lot of guys on here wood say - a proper racing car - and I would agree.

Richy

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

demon

SMF Poster
First Name
Roger
Oh yes a, proper racing car when men had a pint and a fag after a race

Love your build more pics please

Roger

First Name
John
A proper racing car, really good looking build there! I wish F1 would ditch Napoleon, get rid of the stupid aero, and resort to it being about the driver's skill. You may well have sown a seed here!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
First Name
Si.
Superb job Richard, quality build. And yes, as echoing the guys, a proper racer.

You need to his Honda RC162 bike to compliment it. Tragic that he passed away so young.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Or even during the race :D
When men were men...pouring fuel down your back while wearing a flat cap and puffing on a Capston full strength. Drivers had string-backed gloves, goggles and a pith helmet.....gentlemen, start your engines.

demon

SMF Poster
First Name
Roger
Seriously though Ricky you are doing a terrific job on this car I'll have to give one of these 12 scale cars a go I do fancy the lotus 49

Fenlander

SMF Poster
First Name
Graham
\ said:
Seriously though Ricky you are doing a terrific job on this car I'll have to give one of these 12 scale cars a go I do fancy the lotus 49
Yes, sorry Richard, I was being flippant. Looks a great kit and I will be following the progress. I have a feeling I will be seeing something I can't do without again.

To be honest, I am of the age when Mike Hailwood was a hero but I only know him for bikes. I never knew he drove racing cars.

Richy C

SMF Poster
First Name
Richard
Cheers gents , smashing kit to build so far , used after market MFH white metal cam covers ( waste of money ) and metal turned trumpets on the engine but won`t bother next time as it does not make a huge difference , kit ht leads were well out of scale so used heat shrinking tube over solder wire and makes a big difference , not perfect but you can shape them as you wish , being the re-release kit it did not come with Mike Hailwood decals so had to order a new set from Indycals in the US ,

Try one Roger , any of these kits out of the box make great models , what about the new Tyrrell - easy paint job easy decal job and will make a stunning model when finnished

I will post up some more photo`s when I`ve progressed a bit .

Cheers

Richy

Richy C

SMF Poster
First Name
Richard
Don`t be sorry at all Graham , Mike Hailwood was very quick be it on two or four wheels and racing at the very top level , sadly taken from us far to soon ,

Richy

First Name
Steve
Mike was also awarded the George Medal (the highest civilian award) for bravery after rescuing Clay Regazzoni from his burning F1 race car in the 1973 South African Grand Prix - true hero in every sense of the word - killed in an awful car accident alongside his 9 year old daughter . RIP