Tamiya 1/25 Jagdpanther

• Thread starter Ferrets Bueller
  • Start date
F

Ferrets Bueller

I went to modelzone to get this yesterday. It cost £74.99 and it looks a beast of a tank. Ive also got Tamiya 1/35th Jagdtiger on the way too

Its a lovely kit, the fit is perfect and all the parts are nice and crisp with only a very small amount of flash to be found.

I looked everwhere for a pic of the box contents and a build in progress and found nothing so i intend to do as good a job as i can in building this and documenting its build.

Box and contents

A bit of history in the instructions.

Typical tamiya instructions, theres a copy in english a copy in japenese and a updated part too.

1st stage, torsion bars in, the simply clip in place.

This piece at the rear is screwed in position and is movable to allow the fitting and adjustment of the tracks.

Size comparision with a 1/48 me109

And next to a 1/35 king tiger

Hatches, tool racks and periscope covers on.

Wasnt happy with the spare track link holders. i thought something this scale sholud have better.

So with some plasticard and vice drill i set to work, cutting off the old holders and attaching my own, including the pins that hold them on.

I think they look ok but need to find something thin enough to use as the chain for the retaining pins?

F

Ferrets Bueller

Some more progress.

Sprayed the interior and the inside of the doors a mix of tamiya flat white and buff.

Got the other side spare track holders done as well as adding a couple of rear studs to hold the towing cable on.

Added a round section of plasticard to the front tow cable stud (it needs sandin a little) i also added a couple of smll lengths of chain to the cleaning brushes tube.

Mg attached to its ball joint and a cable added for the headlight.

I removed a couple of sections of the side armour with a razor saw.

All primed up in vallejo primer ready for a base coat of tamiya dark yellow.

Road wheels ready for priming which is my next job.

F

Ferrets Bueller

Ok its been sprayed in dark yellow again and ive done the three tone camo usng tamiya dark green and red brown (XF61 and 64). Ill say one thing you use alot of paint on a model this size, especially so with the dark yellow.

Ive got one track on to test fit, just need to play about with the tensioner to get the right amount of sag, not too sure about to gerber track on the other side that may have to go.

I have a question if anyone can answer it, am i right in thinking where the armour sheets have been removed over the wheels would it be the red oxide primer showing through under there on the jins and also on the hull or would it be dark yellow, at this time of the war (late 1944) they would have come from the factory in dark yellow over the primer so my thinking would be it would be primed in red then the armor pannel attached and sprayed yellow, what do you reckon?

And looking at these pics i really need to clean that filter pad on the AB booth.

S

Sky Raider

What a fantastic build, loving the track brackets. A real nice job, well done.

Andy

L

Lancasterb1

What a fantastic build and kit you have there Paul. I have this one in my stash and have yet to start it, but I only hope that it turns out to something like this one that you have posted. A cracking build!

Andy

F

Ferrets Bueller

I started off toady by applyiing mig prductions 3 tone camo oil to blend the camo colours a bit, applied in spots, then using a flat brush dipped in thinner drag the oil down and blend it all in.

Its hard to see a difference on camera but it does the job well.

Oil blended in a coat of Flory models dark dirt wash was airbrushed all overand then a pin wash applied using vallejo acyrilic black "oils"

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Great job on the weathering Paul, going to look the business matey.

Have fun, John

F

Ferrets Bueller

Cheers john, sadly not much interest of this on here, nevermind. If anyone wants to see the completed build it can be found on my blog.

Pauls Scale Models: Tamiya 1/25th Jagdpanther

F

Fenlander

That must be a huge kit. Looks a great paint job though, very nice indeed. Only point I would pick up on is that the insides of the hatches would probably be the yellow colour. There is still some debate on insides of hatches but generally they would be the same as the main body, but not camouflage, so they didn't stand out when open.

No way I would change what you have done though, it is a really well built and painted.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I have been following your build Paul. O.K., on reflection perhaps I should have posted something.

This great Forum is getting that popular with new members signing in almost every day with their builds, that I for one find it impossible to follow them all, let alone post comments.

I'm sure there is interest in your great build, it's just that people are frantically trying to keep pace with the stuff on here that sometimes things are overlooked and missed completely!

When I joined a couple of years ago, or so, the pace of the site was so much slower and members had loads of time to pass comment on each other's efforts....20 odd posts were the norm., now we are all lucky to get into double figures, such is the frantic pace at the moment.

So don't be disheartened. Build away and just enjoy your model making. If you don't get many encouraging posts, does it matter that much, nice though they are?

Ron

P

pointblank0

That mig camo oil looks great. I have never used anything like that and you make it look so easy. Is this the case, or does it take a long time to get used to? It really brings out the realism in that armour.

Rob

K

Krieg-Hammer

Paul, what did you use to thin the oil paint for the 'oil wash'?

Kind Regards

L

landyandy

i,ve just brought the academy version,looking at it its a reboxded tamiya kit but only 29.99

N

noble

\ said:
Cheers john, sadly not much interest of this on here, nevermind. If anyone wants to see the completed build it can be found on my blog.Pauls Scale Models: Tamiya 1/25th Jagdpanther
I have just found this and i have to say mate iam very impressed this has turned out excellent mate, like Ron has said trying to keep abreast of all the new modlers here is difficult. but very well done indeed and keep up the good work.

scott

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Hi the tank looked amazing bud.I'm also impressed with you work area 10/10 for organising it so well

Geegad

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Hi.again just seen the finished product on your blog very nice indeed love the weathering and the rust effect on the exhaust you should put the finished article on here it's something to be proud of

Geegad

B

Buttonman

That thing is monsterous mate. really like it got a 1\48 gonna try and find one. only 1 comment think you need to get some more paints he he.