Tamiya 1/32 A6M5 Zero

B

bikerbart

Thats a cracking finish youve got on the Zero. Must say these 1/32 scale Tamiya kits are rather appealing :smiling: Congratulations on a brilliant build.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Excellent build. I love flying the Zero in the online game Warbirds. Shame they are so fragile though lol.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi snapper, excellent build! For me, the weathering is absolutely perfect- sometimes you see japanese planes that have been weathered that much theres hardly any camo left on them!!! This one is just right and what a brilliantly realistic effect youve achieved too! keep up the excellent work , cheers tony

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Thing is with jap planes...you can never weather them to much as they were horrendous. The paint stripped off so easily in real life.

F

Fenlander

As said above this is a wonderful build and great paintwork. I was not aware there was a 1/32 Zero (not surprising really, I am not aware of many things...) Do you have any pictures from the construction stages, would love to see how it came about?

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Can't add to whats been said already but thats one cracking build matey, top work.

Have fun, John

S

snapper41

Many thanks for the comments - I really enjoyed the build. I think it's a rare kit in the UK - I got it from Hong Kong on ebay. Tamiya supply some great touches - lots of PE, metal gun barrels and pitot tube, and the aerial wire! The engine is a kit in itself:

View attachment 18190

If you've seen/done the Spit IX, this has all the same kind of stuff - all those fiddly nuts, bolts and springs; the undercarriage oleos are sprung, so she bounces up and down! The final great touch is that the box converts into a bespoke storage container for the finished kit if you need to move/store it. The only after-market I used were Zotz decals.

View attachment 25901

sakae.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice job on that Zero Snapper. Certainly looks like it has seen some action. I'm just starting the Spitfire and have already cast a few suspicious glances at the nuts 'n bolts etc you mention.

Cheers

Steve

M

msm2

Superb modelling Snapper. Detailing and build is excellent.

Tony.

B

bikerbart

Snapper, i notice you mention that you got the kit off ebay from Hong Kong. I use ebay alot, but always buying from the UK Ive been tempted to try from kits from Hong Kong but have been worried if they are scams? did you have any probs or was the deal all ok, cheers, Martin :smiling:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Martin, I have had a few things from E-bay sent from Hong Kong with no problems except one. Customs and Excise. If you are unlucky your delivery will be held back at the post office and you will only be given it after paying full duties on it. That means duties and taxes on the cost of the kit AND postage!!! (most unfair). Since I have experianced this I only ever buy from within the EU.

If you cant find what you need on e-bay UK try e-bay.DE; even though you search all e-bay by going to the German e-bay I can often find things that dont turn up on the UK one!!!

Dont worry, If you have Google translate, it will mak thing much easier to understand!!! :smiling:

Ian M

S

snapper41

Martin; that was my first, and so far only, purchase from HK. Absolutely no problems at all; arrived in about a week and nothing from Customs. The seller I used sent me a reference number so that I could track the parcel's progress on-line through the HK Post Office. Best part was I bought the kit for £35; it retails for over £60 here! I checked out the seller's feedback first, to make sure there were happy UK customers.

B

bikerbart

Cheers for the reply Snapper. There are some amazing deals as you say from HK, way cheaper than over here. Good to know the deal went through well, i will give it a go when i have saved enough for what im after...Tamiya 1/6th scale Kawasaki Z1300B Tourer, just cant get it in this country anymore.

B

bikerbart

It is indeed the 6 cylinder. An age of true classic bikes....ahhhhh they dont make em like that anymore.......

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Snapper, i notice you mention that you got the kit off ebay from Hong Kong. I use ebay alot, but always buying from the UK Ive been tempted to try from kits from Hong Kong but have been worried if they are scams? did you have any probs or was the deal all ok, cheers, Martin :smiling:
Martin, I have bought loads of stuff from H/K. both from ebay and internet shops. In my experience they have all been cheap, polite and super efficient.

I have never had any problem with transactions....kits, cameras, I have even bought M4 and G 608 assault rifles, full size replica weapons for my airsoft gaming, no probs. A good example, I bought a Sony digital camera case recently for £5.00 incl. p/p!! It would have cost in excess of £25.00 here in the U.K., without postage!

My son bought, a few years back now, his PS3 from H.K., because he wanted to be one of the first in the U.K. to own one!!

The folks in H.K. usually give you a tracking number, great fun following your item day by day.

I have never had to pay 'dues' on anything......yet!

I understand your reluctance in buying from H.K., I was until I did my first transaction, now I don't give it a second's thought....

I hope this helps you decide on any poss. H.K. dealings in the future.

Sorry to borrow your thread Snapper.

Ron

B

bikerbart

Ron, thats such a helpful post and will most certainly inspire me to go ahead in the future. With soooo many scams on the internet its rather scary sometimes.

Now i have to pick up on something else in your post....you do airsoft....awsome, ive looked into that and it looks and sounds brilliant fun, them weapons are just incredible...oh no dont get me going i cant do any more hobbies, Mrs P will kick me out lol :smiling:

Yep sorry from me too Snapper, we are guilty as charged for hijacking this page, regards Martin :smiling:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Not normally a PTO model builder but this Zero is changing my mind.

Great build and finish of, what sounds like, another fine Tamiya kit.

Cheers

Paul

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That's an ace build and the paint is 100%. The weathering is just enough.

Top job Snapper, 5 stars.

Tony.