Tamiya 1:32 Corsair F4U-1A

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
My second 1:32 Tamiya finished. There's no need for me to detail how well the build went, I think we all know what these Tamiya beasts are like. Brilliant.

To celebrate, later I'll be having a very special bottle of Corsair.
I tried taking pictures in a bout 4 different places, unfortunately this is the best I could do. Low winter sun isn't the best for out door pictures, and the Corsair is a bit big for indoor pictures !

I wanted a weathered, tired old Corsair, that's perhaps not quite the look I achieved, but I was also trying not to go OTT with the weathering - if that makes sense.
This poor old thing has had hairspray and salt thrown at it, new techniques for me, but something I will try again in the future.
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 1

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Colin great build perfect weathering one to be proud of.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Fantastic work there Colin. I think you've achieved the tired old look very well. Like Vaughan says, one to be proud of.

D

Doddridge

You did a great work with this kit , i like it very much .

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for having a look Gentlemen.
Stunning.
It looks like Barry W has some competition!
No, I don't mind the occasional 1:32 build, but I'm a bit too impatient to keep working in that scale all the time, I'll leave that to Barry. Next on the bench will be a 1:72.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
That is a brilliant job Colin - you really should take on more in 1/32, the scale suits you!!!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Been there, bought the kit, done a superb job.......

GOT THE TEE SHIRT!

P1190326.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Been there, bought the kit, done a superb job.......

GOT THE TEE SHIRT!

View attachment 295178

Cheers.
Ron
Well hang on a moment, I think we might have cornered the market here. This could be a big seller in the USA....................Corsair beer and branded products. I'll get my people to call your people.

D

Doug Hughes

Great job, Colin. I love the weathering and the overall faded look.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I love the weathering and the overall faded look
Cheers Doug. It wasn't quite what I envisaged, but having tried a couple of new techniques with weathering, it sort of took its own course, and the result is above !

Now, the great thing about modelling for me is learning about the subject and the people that flew them. For example, you see all the white tape stuff in front of the cockpit, it features on quite a few Corsairs. Well it turns out, the fuel tank leaked so much in this area, surgical tape was used on the panel joints to stop the fuel ending up on the cockpit glass, thus obscuring the pilots vision. I never knew this.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb job colin matey , a beautifully built and painted model of one of my personal favourite aircraft. You must be well chuffed with this one, cheers tony

selrach

SMF Supporter
My second 1:32 Tamiya finished. There's no need for me to detail how well the build went, I think we all know what these Tamiya beasts are like. Brilliant.

To celebrate, later I'll be having a very special bottle of Corsair.
I tried taking pictures in a bout 4 different places, unfortunately this is the best I could do. Low winter sun isn't the best for out door pictures, and the Corsair is a bit big for indoor pictures !

I wanted a weathered, tired old Corsair, that's perhaps not quite the look I achieved, but I was also trying not to go OTT with the weathering - if that makes sense.
This poor old thing has had hairspray and salt thrown at it, new techniques for me, but something I will try again in the future.
View attachment 295137

View attachment 295138

View attachment 295139

View attachment 295140

View attachment 295141

View attachment 295142

View attachment 295143

View attachment 295144

View attachment 295145

View attachment 295146

View attachment 295147

View attachment 295149
Lovely work indeed! The weathering and highlighting make for a very realistic appearance.

selrach

SMF Supporter
Lovely work indeed! The weathering and highlighting make for a very realistic appearance.

B

BigZimmo

Colin........another 32-strike from your workbench............superb weathering..........excellent job, mate!! More of this, please!!!!!:smiling::smiling::thumb2::thumb2:

:cool:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Lovely finish Colin, I like this one very much and definitely an A1 build

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for looking gentlemen. Although you have to say, these Tamiya things are well loaded with detail, anyone building one is off to a good start !

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Lovely work Colin, I have a tamiya 1/48 corsair with tug in the stash that I may well attempt next. After reading tour build I think you will become tired of Vallejo paints, that's what I started with when I came back to the hobby and although they are very good some of the colours are just to far off for me. I now use mr hobby aqueous and tamiya thinned with Mr color self levelling thinner and it's so good.
Love the weathering on this one and big respect for trying a couple of new techniques on one build, risky but a very good outcome.
Cheers