Tamiya 1/32 F-51d

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Theuns, will watch this one for sure.

D

dubster72

I'll be watching this one Theuns as I have the same kit - the complexity is rather daunting!

T

T. van Vuuren

It looks way more complex in the box than what it really is, the build is not more "hard" than a standard 1/48 shake and bake tamiya kit...there is just more detail.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hey, my 1:32 Tamiya build buddy - that sounds really naff and not the sort of thing I would normally say !

Anyway, I have the Mk9 Spitfire underway and it will be interesting to see if the same engineering techniques have been used by Tamiya. I can see you have the extra thin engine cowls in a separate box, just the same as the Spitfire, I wonder what else ?

Colin M..

T

T. van Vuuren

I must say that I would never spend this kind of loot on a model.....no matter how good it is - I am just to much of a cheapskate! But as a gift I am very happy to give it a go LOL

Theuns

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
I must say that I would never spend this kind of loot on a model.....no matter how good it is - I am just to much of a cheapskate! But as a gift I am very happy to give it a go LOL
Theuns
I agree, this is probably the most expensive kit I'll ever get my hands on.

T

T. van Vuuren

That is why I took more than 2 years to start it, I reconed that I will most likely never get a kit like this again and wanted to make sure I have the basic skills to turn it into something decent. The risk of messing it up was just to high....

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Seat chipped with hairspray tecnique, engine basically done, cockpit floor done, can't see it in the pic but the black floorboards have been "chaffed" down to raw wood infront of the rudder pedals.

Firewall and oil tank weathered with oil wash to make the detail "pop" a little

TheunsView attachment 122047

models 584.jpg

T

T. van Vuuren

I was told the seat looks to weathered, will have to redo it.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice to see this on the move again. And I think the seat looks great,

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx.

Here is the basic sude assembly.

I have read allot about the colour off the fuel tank bays aswell as the wheel wells. I have pix of the assemblies being painted in a yellow primer and then it had a coat of silver lacure over it all, it was not bare metal.
I painted the wheelwells yellow and to represent a well used/worn aerie I will salt chip it to look like the wear and tear these wells took with the slip of a spanner, all the nasty fluids ect.

Here is a link to some SAAF 2 sqn mustprangs in Korea -http://www.saairforce.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8384&start=15

Theuns

DSC00048 (2).JPG

DSC00050 (2).JPG

T

T. van Vuuren

I need to do a little more cleanup of the salt but I am happy with the results. I will add the alluminium piping and do an inkwas to dirty it up a bit more.

Theuns

DSC00052.JPG