Tamiya 1/32 F-51d

First Name
Gwyn
Well done Theuns, that is looking great.

Gwyn

N

noble

beautiful work and detailing, you are building one of my all time favourite aircraft.

scott

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice. I've never tried salt chipping but it seems quite useful in larger scale.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I like this Theuns, good additions to the landing gear wells.

T

T. van Vuuren

I have the fuse buttoned up, the wheelwells fit well and the gubays are in the wings. 

Theuns

DSC00075.JPG

DSC00077.JPG

DSC00078.JPG

DSC00080.JPG

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

the ammo bays look extremely good. Just don't forget every tenth round was a tracer and was painted yellow

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
All looking very nice. I might have to try 'Big' scale again soon.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
The devil is in the detail....GREAT STUFF! B|

Last edited by a moderator:
T

T. van Vuuren

Here is the undercart strut. I painted the slider part of the oleo Alclad and the rest is humbrol steel. Starting to look like a mustprang now... Now I just need to figure out if the pannel marked with red arrow was removable for maintenance. It would be a pitty to hide the nice PE filter under it. Theuns

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
And he's off, again. Looking good.

T

T. van Vuuren

So, as painting time comes colser I have had to experiment with the meatls I will put on.The mustprangs in Korea seem to have been very dull and weathered.I painted a plastic spoon to see what works the bestLeft side is my usual airframe alluminium over alclad grey on the bottom corner and alclad black on the top corner.The right side top is duraluminium over alclad black and the bottom dura over alclad grey.All has been sealed with alclad semi matt clarcoat.To my eye the airframe alluminium over black can work for the darker areas like exhaust pannels, gun bays ect but airframe allu over grey is to grainy and looks to "silver"The varition in the duraluminium looks closer to the pix I have seen.I have also heared that some guys wil (after all different pannels are painted) shoot a coat of say alluminium over the wholw thing to blend it all together.Any ideas on this?? Theuns

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's difficult to say looking at a computer screen, but it seems like the grey primers give the best effect.

T

T. van Vuuren

The grey primer makes it allot lighter with the same amount of metal ...

T

T. van Vuuren

It is a pitty I dont have a better camera to sow how good this engineering on the undercart is.

The oleo was wrapped in tin foil to look like chrome

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Here are two extra tail sections they give in the kit.

I experimented with spraying alclad grey primer , masking off some pannels and then spraying alclad black base. Over all of this went 2-3 coats of duraalluminium. 

I am rather pleased with the tone difference I get with one "colour" of alclad.

As for the rest of the model, it hs been primed with alclad primer and just a few areas need a little attention, then a final sanding and "metal" can go on.

Theuns

DSC00609.JPG