Tamiya 1/32 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice one. Find a competition, enter, and you now what the result will be.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Builders such as you are giving me a new appreciation of plane modeling, being a hard core tanker weathering means a great deal to me and in my opinion your weathering is spot on...EXCELLENT!...........Jim:smiling3:

P

Polux

Magnificent work Barry!! That's a beauty!

Maybe I miss some weathering on the red roundels, but the model looks superb anyway ;)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautifully built , painted and weathered barry. The washes/ filters , et al have given it a realistic used look , all too often we see japanese aircraft that look like theyve been to the shotblasters , i prefer to see them like this , subtle but noticeable, cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Tamiya should pay you for this demonstration of how good their kits should look when done properly!

L

lolstew1938

Barry a question. How did you manage to get those panel lines so distinct to
look through that yellow paint ?

A superb finish.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Magnificent work Barry!! That's a beauty!

Maybe I miss some weathering on the red roundels, but the model looks superb anyway ;)
Hi Polux. The roundels being painted on went through exactly the same weathering process as the base coat. Looking at the photos the modulation and weathering is not as clearly seen as on the model itself.

Tony - as a Pearl harbour attacker I thought the aircraft would not be as heavily weathered as later in the war. That was my reasoning but, if anything, I am wondering if I still over did it.

Lol. The paint, being AKI acrylics, is fairly glossy so I did not have to gloss coat. The panel line wash was also AKI, their panel liner range an enamel based product. I allowed capillary action to draw it along the panel lines and once dry went along with a soft broad brush wettened with white spirit removing any suplus in the direction of air flow. It did not damage the underlying paint. The streaks were done by placing a drop of dark brown AK wash in an appropiate place and again with a wettened soft wide brush streated the wash back in the airflow direction. I worked it until I got the effect I wanted.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Beautiful work Barry. I enjoyed reading your build thread when I could too. Very informative on your methods and materials used.