Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk XVIe

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I did not intend to do another build thread for this one but once I started cutting plastic I just had to share what a great kit this is.

First, about this build - it is going to be a very basic one, it will be all 'buttoned up' to show off the great clean lines of the aircraft. While the engine panels are potentially removable, being held in place with small magnets, I will just be building the Merlin to see how it goes together without painting and will be gluing the panels into place.  I have three of these Tammy Spits to build and I will be building one of them with the engine panels removable and with a fully painted and detailed Merlin.  So you can regard this build as a bit of a reccy ahead of the more detailed build.  It will also be out of the box except for an aftermarket set of seat harnesses.  The kit offers interchangeable u/c legs attached with screws and a stand so you can swap it from being on the ground to in the air. I prefer to build without a pilot to display the interior detail to more effect so my build will be parked up on the ground, I will not be bothering with the 'wheels up' attachments.  The actual aircraft I am depicting is below:

IMG_1542.JPG

About the aircraft. We all know the Spitfire of course, probably the most beautiful, graceful (and yet of its time deadly) flying machine ever built.  To my mind the Spitfire lost some of that beauty when they built it with Griffon engines, with those exhaust lumps and over extended nose.  The classic Spit has 'that' distinct canopy but in the Mk XVI, the last of the Merlin Spits, they cut down the rear and installed a bubble canopy as pictured to improve all around visibility it also had the clipped wings to improve low level speed and roll performance.  It was actually a development of the Mk IX with a Packard Merlin built to metric measurments.  To me this MkXVI is the ultimate in Spitfire beauty and that is why I want to build it to show off those lines.  I will be doing a light weathering as this aircraft is depicted in the summer of 1945, post-war, so it would not have suffered the high level of wartime operational tempo and the ground crew would have had more time to give it some t.l.c.

A word about the Tamiya 1/32 WW2 'uberkits'...I have seen on FB and on some forums a lot of critisism of the cost of the kits.  £100 or so is a lot of money and I can appreciate that and, of course, you could build 5 Revell 1/32s and two or three Hasegawa 1/32s for the same cost as a single Tammiya 1/32.  But for me the fun is in the build experience and I really believe that quality wins over quantity.  I would rather build a single Tamiya 1/32 beauty than 5 Revells.  What I find absurd is how some people will think nothing of spending £40 to £50 on a Hasegawa kit and a further £50 or more on aftermarket resin and p.e. to detail it up but will not spend £100 on a Tamiya kit.  The point is that the Tamiya 1/32 WW2 aircraft range give you a superbly detailed and acccurate model right out of the box that fits together perfectly.  Yes, there is still some (limited..) room for improvement if you want to spend the money and, indeed with the Tamiya builds I have in my stash, I will be using some aftermarket products, decals (the Tamiya ones are terrible), masks and seat belts in most cases but with my MkVIII Spit I will be using a lot of aftermarket including a resin seat, metal gun barrels, resin wheels and so on.  But you dont have to spend that money to get a great result, you can do that with only what's in the box, it is all there including canopy paint masks.  So far the Tamiya 1/32 warbird range includes the following kits, listed in the order they were released, every one a masterpiece of model engineering, accuracy and fit. All, except the first Zero that I have already built, are in my stash.

Mitsubishi Zero A6M5  (I have previously built this one and the result is posted on SMF)

Mitsubishi Zero A6M2

Spitfire IXc

Spitfire VIIIc

Spitfire XVIe (on the bench)

Mustang P51D

Mustang P51D/K

Corsair F4U-1 (birdcage)

Corsair F4U-1A

Mosquito FB.IV

I expect them to bring out another Mossie soon and who knows what they will come out with after that.

So if you have looked at these and hesitated to get one because of the cost, just go for it...  You will not regret it.

Now for the build in hand....

I have just made a small start on the cockpit area incliding the p.e. compass which has a decal to position on the face once it is painted.  More pics as I progress....

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1539.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kressy_13

Will be interested to watch this. I would love to get some of these 1/32 kits. Just don't know where I would keep them once built. Hahaha. Pulling up a chair.

Cheers. 

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Kresten - yes, space can be an issue with 1/32 scale.  I actually now have less display space than I had in my old home, that's the problem with a missus who wants my hobby confined to the garage but does not want me to take up too much room!  Her running and rowing machines need a lot of space too....  but when we get a shed and I can get the garden stuff out of the way!!!  maybe...

First Name
Gwyn
Nice one Barry, I look forward to seeing your progress, another Tamiya winner by the sounds of it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have often looked at this kit on the shelves and always picked another kit or two. I agree that the one of those or two/three of these is an argument many will use. When I did my Tamiya Spitfire the only reason I hit the aftermarket was due to converting it to an E wing.
I will look forward to this build as it might just weaken my resolve enough to grab one. I have reached the stage where there are more models than shelving....Lucky for me the good lady has no problem with a model or two in the living room! 

My best bet for the next Ûber kit from them? Hurricane ?

Coffee put over, chair pulled up. 

O

Ozzie_tank

Very cool kit I'm doing a tamiya 1/32 F-15c at the moment  and it's great to build. 

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have often looked at this kit on the shelves and always picked another kit or two. I agree that the one of those or two/three of these is an argument many will use. When I did my Tamiya Spitfire the only reason I hit the aftermarket was due to converting it to an E wing.
I will look forward to this build as it might just weaken my resolve enough to grab one. I have reached the stage where there are more models than shelving....Lucky for me the good lady has no problem with a model or two in the living room! 

My best bet for the next Ûber kit from them? Hurricane ?

Coffee put over, chair pulled up. 

Ian - I think, looking at their pattern of releases, next will likely be another version of the Mossie, but - next year hopefully it will be something new.  All these 1/32 releases have also been in their 1/48 range and the favourite candidate for new release is a P47 Thunderbolt when looking at LSP comments.   That said, personally I would also love to see them bring out a Hurricane.

Looking at their 1/48s other candidates for the next release include an ME262 and a Beaufighter - how I would love a Beaufighter alongside their Mossie!!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
looking at their pattern of releases, next will likely be another version of the Mossie, but - next year hopefully it will be something new. 

There is a conspicuous absence of German Aircraft in their line up so maybe they will shock the world and give us a Bf of some form. Probably not a 109 as there are so many already. It will probably be a type that they can squeeze two or three versions out of with out having to do totally new tools for them all. Something where they can just add new wing tips, ruder, or the like ......A Jug might be on the cards, but the last two, prior to the mossy, are American.....We will just have to wait until some one spots loads of Japanese guys with cameras, tape measures and note books crawling all over a likely candidate. LOL.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm with Barry on the more expensive large scale kits. You get what you pay for. Revell's Spitfire looks pretty good, until you put it next to a Tamiya. I'm not a rivet counter, I don't care about a millimetre here or there, but I have seen a lot of real Spitfires, and Tamiya's captures the essence of the shape, the fineness of certain areas, more accurately. I neither know, nor care, how that was done, it just was.

Will Tamiya do an Me 262? The problem is that there is already a very good 1/32 Me 262 from Trumpeter. It is arguably Trumpeter's best kit. I'd like a Hurricane, the Fly offering is probably the best in 1/32, but it could be bettered.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
Earlier this year i built the Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito. An absolute joy to build. Unlike the kits i usually build, everything fitted perfectly. And if it didnt, i knew id done something wrong!. It took me 6 months to do and the kit includes everything you need.All i added was a 'Master' turned brass gun barrel set. Well worth the money in my opinion. What next from Tamiya in this scale?. A Beaufighter would be nice? 

image.jpeg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Very nice Mossie build Dave,...

I managed another hour last night on the Spitty but progress is slow and there is not much to show for the 2 hours so far spent on the project.  I am still working on sub assemblies for the cockpit which is superbly detailed and everything fits together beautifully.  The plastic is clean and crisp and the p.e. actually works!  The only reason for the slow progress is the number of parts and the relative complexity compared to other single seat  builds.  I say complex, it is, but it is not difficult at all and the instructions are clear you just need to follow them....be patient and take your time.

Here is what I have managed toi get done so far.

IMG_1544.JPG

Tonight I should manage another hour working on the 'pit...

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Chaired pulled up for the duration, your build threads always make good reading.

C

Crumplezone

Nice choice Barry, I read the the "how to build guide" for Tamiya Spitfire and was stunned by the innovation of the kit. Happy modelling. 

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well I managed 1 1/2 hours at the bench last night and I thought I would provide some better close ups of the sub-assemblies so far including those done last night.

In many models, even in 1/32 scale, the control column is a single piece and sometimes not much more than a blob of plastic.  That is not the case with this Tammy.... the column itself is four pieces and the bit it fits into is three pieces...  it actually means some great detail and the ability to pose the column itself and the control yoke in whatever position you want, to match the position you want to pose the control surfaces.  In my case I have decided on a neutral position.

IMG_1547.JPG

Again in most kits the compass is a blob of plastic that may be molded to the instrument panel or is just stuck on...  This is made up of a piece of p.e. to hold it and it has a decal for the top to apply after painting.

IMG_1548.JPG

Here is another piece with a p.e. controi lever.

IMG_1549.JPG

The 5 piece seat plus back armour

IMG_1551.JPG

I have three options for the seat harness, the kit p.e., a HGW fabric set or a set of the new Eduard 'steel' harness that I have heard such good things about.  I have decided on the latter and may use the HGW on another of the Spittys.

IMG_1552.JPG

Here I decided to drill out the lightening holes.

IMG_1553.JPG

A simple job that really enhances the appearance:

IMG_1554.JPG

There are two pieces of armour to fit to the top as a sandwich, one part being p.e.

IMG_1557.JPG

This enables some great detail from a side view.

I have glued the instrument panel glass to the panelss one of which is p.e.

IMG_1546.JPG

I used this, a brilliant glue for transparencies.

IMG_1545.JPG

I will tonight apply the instrument decals to the back of the panels. 

IMG_1550.JPG

No detail:  No worries, these fit to the back of the transparencies and the detail is on the other side so it shows through.  It is an great system that works.  I will protect the dial faces with liquid mask when I paint the panels.

That is it so far and I still have not finished all the sub-assemblies for the cockpit!!

First Name
Dave
Well I managed 1 1/2 hours at the bench last night and I thought I would provide some better close ups of the sub-assemblies so far including those done last night.

In many models, even in 1/32 scale, the control column is a single piece and sometimes not much more than a blob of plastic.  That is not the case with this Tammy.... the column itself is four pieces and the bit it fits into is three pieces...  it actually means some great detail and the ability to pose the column itself and the control yoke in whatever position you want, to match the position you want to pose the control surfaces.  In my case I have decided on a neutral position.

View attachment 264155

Again in most kits the compass is a blob of plastic that may be molded to the instrument panel or is just stuck on...  This is made up of a piece of p.e. to hold it and it has a decal for the top to apply after painting.

View attachment 264156

Here is another piece with a p.e. controi lever.

View attachment 264157

The 5 piece seat plus back armour

View attachment 264159

I have three options for the seat harness, the kit p.e., a HGW fabric set or a set of the new Eduard 'steel' harness that I have heard such good things about.  I have decided on the latter and may use the HGW on another of the Spittys.

View attachment 264160

Here I decided to drill out the lightening holes.

View attachment 264161

A simple job that really enhances the appearance:

View attachment 264162

There are two pieces of armour to fit to the top as a sandwich, one part being p.e.

View attachment 264163

This enables some great detail from a side view.

I have glued the instrument panel glass to the panelss one of which is p.e.

View attachment 264154

I used this, a brilliant glue for transparencies.

View attachment 264153

I will tonight apply the instrument decals to the back of the panels. 

View attachment 264158

No detail:  No worries, these fit to the back of the transparencies and the detail is on the other side so it shows through.  It is an great system that works.  I will protect the dial faces with liquid mask when I paint the panels.

That is it so far and I still have not finished all the sub-assemblies for the cockpit!!

The 1/32 Mosquito has the same instrument panel set up.A great system as you say.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks Joe - some really useful images on that thread particularly for the pattern of wear at the ring root and prop.....

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Managed now to finish the cockpit sub-assemblies so next session I will mask the instrument dials and prime with Stynylrez block primer. 

Instument panel now together 

IMG_1558.JPG

Side walls

IMG_1560.JPG

Seat now attached to armour plate  

IMG_1559.JPG

J

John Rixon

Wow, that does look enticing, it was the compass binnacle that did it for me!!